Hoof problems - What would you do?

Gosh, this thread is still going on. Thanks for all the great replies. I will give you an update as to how my boy is doing...

After much thought I took the shoes off. He was lame for a couple of weeks. He was out during the day with Boa boots, and in at night with nothing on for 2 weeks. he toughened up and was out bare foot from then on. His feet were crumbling and bad so had some shoes back on a week ago.. Only racing plates, the light alu ones.

Things were going fine until Tuesday. He came in with a kick and was hopping lame. Vet out antibiotics etc no prob. Until yesterday, came in even worse. Vet was called again, but as I was on the phone, he pulled off a shoe and half his foot (not a happy bunny!!!). Vet came, did nerve blocks. Looks like its 50/50 pain in his knee and hoof. Poulticed last night and yesterday, lots of lovely puss (as recommended by vet), and tonight there was even more. His coronet bands are swollen beyond beleif and split where they join the hoof. I am stuck....

Its not great, Im having a hard time at the moment with him and at the mo, he has a suspected fracture in his knee/forearm, something (vet doesnt know what) wrong with his hood aswell... he's on box rest for a few days until its decided what is wrong...

Barefoot issues

A couple of things to consider that may help. Abandon the creams and potions - they're for you, not the horse! Take your lad to the beach - the sea water works wonders. If you don't live near a beach see if you can play in a stream a couple of times a week.

Forget the expensive supplements. Seaweed is cheap, full of biotin and magnesiom (and other good things). Half a teacup a day and they love the taste. if you live near a beach go get him some! An old farrier told me not to waste my money, buy some seaweed meal, and he was right becuase it made a huge difference.

Consider adding Linseed meal from Simple Systems too.

Don't buy it froma horsey shop - it's too expensive. Your local agri feed store can get it - about £17 for 25Kg and that will last for months!

Lastly - it takes ime to improve hooves - your fingernails take time to grow and reflect your diet. Shod or unshod - it takes a couple of months to see a real difference.

Here's a pic of the coronet band, just one, the worst one with a split in. An update, the vet seems to think abcess, farrier says is not... Cant find anything in there. farrier has never seen coronery bands like this before,so just as stumped as me.

Love horses ;);)

Attachments

• SP_A0241.jpg
    SP_A0241.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 8
newrider.com