hoof sensitivity - every February?!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
It seems that every February Moet develops sensitivity in her hooves.

She is spot on weight wise (been weighed on scales a few weeks back at 548kg), hasn't had any feed change, routine remains the same, out 24/7 with one bucket feed and a net of hay every evening. Her schooling has improved so so so much this winter that she is moving her best and most willing.

But I have noticed this sensitivity the last 3 years, can't say I noticed it on previous years but I was riding less then so it may have still happened.

Last year it lasted for the month and then in March she was fine and back to normal.

Well literally first hack in February today and she was def sensitive if any gravel around.

Last feb I booted her for hacking, will do the same again until the sensitivity stops, then the rest of the year she is usually fine.

But isn't it a bit odd? A bit early for spring flush surely?

yes that's the only thing I was thinking, I shall pop up on mornings when frosty and hay them, and re-assess if she is still sensitive!

Temps have dropped a lot here, so frosty grass is higher in sugar.
Or just the ground is significantly harder than normal?

Jess got sensitive late last feb (and around that time the year before thinking about it) and I put it down to her first strong season and the soggy ground, def no frost here this time last year, so far this year we've had no problems (crossing everything and bashing on wood o_O:p)

Has she started shedding her winter coat? I always think that that takes such a metabolic effort for them......

Has she started shedding her winter coat? I always think that that takes such a metabolic effort for them......

That's interesting, haven't noticed, will look tomorrow!

I wonder what supplements I could provide during the season change times to aid any metabolic issues?

There must be something appealing about the grass this last two days as our girls have really been keen to go into their actual field. Prior to this I was having to walk them up the hill and nearly always after an hour they came back to the nets hanging in the school! They are keen atm and yesterday stayed in the field for hours. The ground is rock hard though so wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something to do with that.
That's interesting about shedding.

newrider.com