Hormonal supplements ?

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
anyone got any real successes with these? Ive just bought Ostress for Briea to try...

She is coming back into season and is being a real witch. The ears go back when you do anything round her back end and she would think of kicking, she gets very sensitive about your leg going on and very squeally as well. We were made to stand in ‘ the naughty corner’ at camp, away from the other horses as she had had a little nap and she stood there squeaking and squealing in anger:rolleyes:

I've tried lots of different ones, I found Oestress good for a few years but seemed to get less effective the longer she was on it, no clue about that really. We then went to regumate from the vet, and vaccinated her against her own hormones but the vaccine left lumps in her neck so I wasn't keen to do it again, did lots of research and found a lot of the supplements getting good reviews are at least in part Raspberry leaf, so I got straight raspberry leaf (12 quid a kilo which lasts over 2 months) and had great success with it, Jess was much happier, though I did find it worked better if I got her on it before her first season. It primarily used for foaling mares, its meant to help level hormones and relax muscles so seemed to help with the sensitivity, Jess is now on chaste berry for the cushings and that is another common ingredient in hormone balancers so haven't put her back on the raspberry this spring and going well so far but then I haven't been riding really s we will see :D

Reactions: CharliesAngel
I have used equimins nightmare liquid for my hormonal mare and my previous riggish gelding with great results for both!

My old gelding was very riggish...would herd other horses, poo onto of other horses droppings to mark his territory, try to bit/mount women, very sharp behaviour wise (but surprisingly good as gold to ride). I tried all rig supplements then moved onto mares hormone supplements and this was the only one that worked.

Then my mare that I have now was constantly in season, tormenting the boys lives out, good on the ground but very cranky to ride when in season so I put her on nightmare following my previous experiences with it and she is 100% better. No different to ride now when in season and doesn't drive the boys insane :)

newrider.com