Horse trots over xrail, how to get her to jump with 2 feet

clairetroy747

Jan 23, 2018
So I am training my horse to jump. She is great at trotting poles and so I added a cross rail, she trots over it fine but how do I teach her to jump it with both feet? I don't want to raise the cross rail too high just yet and I don't want to canter her over it either just yet. What do I do?

Do I need to just raise the jump higher? How high? Do I need to go for the canter now ?

Thanks!

Why not lunge or freeschool her over a jump? Just so she gets the idea of how to jump and balance herself?
True I have not tried that yet. How high should I put the jump though? and should I canter her into the jump or trot? I guess i'm not sure when I should start her cantering into jumps, at what point is she ready?

Make it bigger. I think it's a common mistake people make when teaching horses to jump that they don't want to give it something TOO big (which is sensible, obviously!) but they go too much the wrong way and don't give it anything to jump at all! Some horses are quick to work out how to snap their feet up and use their back even over a tiny jump, but most are not, and won't learn to jump properly over something that doesn't REQUIRE them to jump properly.

True I have not tried that yet. How high should I put the jump though? and should I canter her into the jump or trot? I guess i'm not sure when I should start her cantering into jumps, at what point is she ready?

Loose-jumping is a good idea as she can discover her technique for herself, in her own time and using her own balance, without the interference or influence of a rider. I would pop her over a crosspole in trot just a couple of times, and then get her to do it from canter. When she can canter over it without tripping or knocking the jump, I'd put it up to 50/60cm upright and get her to come in at canter straight off. You really don't need to be too cautious, they work it out pretty quickly!

As for the last question, personally I'd say that if you can control her direction and speed at canter riding her on the flat, she's ready to jump from canter with you on board. Make sure you keep your leg on and ride her forwards, do not just sit there - creating impulsion is YOUR job, and she will not jump properly if you just amble in half-heartedly - but keep a soft elastic contact and don't try to "hold" her or get her to take off in a certain spot, she must be allowed to work it out for herself without mum's interference. When people are teaching horses to jump they often try to control too much!... You take care of forward and straight, but the rest is up to her.

Remember to have a clear groundline for EVERY jump, whether loose or ridden, even just for a crosspole. If you're not telling them where to take off (which you shouldnt be at this point) you need to help them judge it themselves. A placing pole 1 stride out always helps too.

You're welcome. Just remember to always get her going forwards, even with the loose-jumping. I love watching horses in the early stages of their jumping education - it's like you can see the cogs turning in their brains as they work out what to do.

Reactions: clairetroy747
a jump is an extension of a canter stride so she will jump far easier than in trot. Personally, i really dislike jumping out of trot, the only time i see it as useful is to give a green horse a chance to ‘look’ at the fence and pop over it rather than risking a stop in canter.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
I found with my youngster going up too quick with the poles he wanted to please but it made him rush into the jumps. So I dropped them back down and practiced approaching at the trot. The more time spent getting the low level approach helped set him up when they did get bigger.

I too spent lots and lots of time with my youngster on low cross jumps at trot. It is harder at trot but it does help them in the long run. Theres plenty of time in the future to jump higher;)

Reactions: clairetroy747
newrider.com