How long has your horse been barefoot?

Kerpug

May 12, 2007
Following on from alot of threads recently re farriers v ep's:-

1. How long has your horse/pony been barefoot?
2. Who trims? Farrier or Ep

My horse has been barefoot for 4 years and trimmed by farrier every 8 weeks. He works on any ground.

:)

1. Since the beginning of august.
2. An EP.

Fantastic progress so far, after 18 months of heartache over lost shoes, abscesses and the like.

Skye's been barefoot to my knowledge her whole life. She has wonderfully hard feet that I wouldn't wreck by chucking shoes on, she doesn't need them.

She get's trimmed about once every 6 months, and even then the farrier says she doesn't need them done. But if she does get a little long they are done as needed.

Roxy - nearly 3 years, trimming is mixture of me and EP.
Mia - about 2 years barefoot but hasn't ever been shod. Trimmed by me.
Jay - never been shod, properly barefoot (rather than totally neglected) for 7 months, trimmed by me.

Cariad - April 02
Jaguar - April 02
Patrick - Jan 02
Phoenix - Jan 02
Drum - Aug 01

All EP trimmed.

You've had yours done by EP's for a long time then, What made you go with an EP rather than farrier? Was it because of bad farriers?

I'm really interested as Harry is fine with normal farrier trim and has had no problems with different grounds so am i best sticking with a really good farrier or do the EP's really do a better job for adapting on stony ground or roads etc? Again Harrys is great now anyway:)

Mrs P's been barefoot for 16 months, she is EP trimmed every 5-6 weeks with me doing bits in between. She seems OK on pretty much any going, I wouldn't want to ride her for miles on rough stones but she's heading the right way & has never needed hoof boots. She show jumps & xcs happliy too :)

2 1/2 years, EP trimmed since the beginning (previously had back shoes off farrier trimmed but her feet were completely unbalanced).

We don't have many roads where we are (except a 40 mph dual carriageway where everyone does 60 mph) so she hasn't done a lot of roadwork but he's fine when we have been on roads and is happy on all surfaces including the stony track to the yard.

I went for an EP as I was impressed with what I was seeing. They took time over the trim and actually discussed the foot and management with the owner. When she was seen to by the farrier her feet weren't well balanced and although they weren't massively flared they weren't brilliant.

Rio - 2 years, Tess 14 months. Mostly trimmed by me but checked over periodically by people who know what they're doing. Rio is mostly sound over everything but sensitive to too much of the wrong sort of grazing. Tess is sound ridden on easy surfaces but still needs boots for anything remotely challenging.

My old mare has been barefoot for about 6 months now but is currently a broodmare so havent ridden her b.foot yet. But am def going to keep her barefoot :D

I am planning to keep her filly b.foot too, all her life if all goes well.

I use a normal farrier, because no-one else will put up with my old mare's ways!! and they are getting to know and trust him.

It's great reading other peoples barefoot threads :D:D

Fresca has never been shod - she was backed at the end of August and Farrier does her trim. He says her feet are like flint and in really good condition - no need for shoes - excellent farrier :)

sorry to sound really thick but wat is an ep?:eek:

equine podietrist (spelling a bit off there :eek:)

harry has never had shoes and is now 12 years old.
when i got dawn she went "barefoot" ie, we had the shoes taken off. i had her shod last summer as a temporary trial (no hoof growth so needed something to stop them wearing but then not enough hoof to nail to ;)) and she's been "barefoot" since. Farriers do my two.

Fresca has never been shod - she was backed at the end of August and Farrier does her trim. He says her feet are like flint and in really good condition - no need for shoes - excellent farrier :)

I wonder if we have the same excellent farrier as there doesn't seem to be many of them! But then again Wales is a big place :D

EP is an Equine Podiast- hope i spellt that right? They trim horses feet and educate and advise on hoof management, diet, climate etc to ensure the foot is at its best without shoes. Ok did i explain that right?:confused::D

newrider.com