How often do you wear body protector?

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
Just pondering really, how often do others wear a body protector if at all?

I don't wear mine for everyday hacking, schooling, jumping, fun rides or hunting but do wear it if I go cross country schooling. I know others who wear them every ride.

Never, I learnt to ride before they were common use and feel so clumsy if I wear one and end up more likely to come off as can't move in them, BUT after a couple of falls in the last few years and the fact that I ride and live alone (no one would know if I was badly injured until I didn't show up for work) I brought an air vest which I wear 98% of the time.

I've got lazy and only wear mine for jumping now. But I only stopped wearing it every time I ride about 4 months ago.

I lost my mojo with Storm so badly I ended up practically living in mine! Despite it feeling clumsy and making my position worse, somehow it out weighed that in my head. I don't wear it atm, it's loitering with intent in the bottom of one of the wardrobes. I might buy another better fitting / up to date one at some point. I honestly think it was making me sit badly, despite being fit by a trained person etc. I think I'd go back to wearing it or a new one if I did anything other than low level pottering about. To be honest it's something I am trying not to think about too deeply. I enjoy my small rides and I guess putting on the bp makes it seem like I'm heading off into the unknown.......

Reactions: Jessey
I don't own one and have never even tried one on. Like @Jessey I learnt to ride before they existed. I feel like if I wore one I'd start worrying about the bits of my body thats not protected:rolleyes:!

Reactions: Trewsers
I used to wear one every time I rode Pete - it was a condition of keeping him at the time! - now only if I feel I need to.

I wore one for a week or so when I first moved yards but not worn it again since, currently.

I wear mine to jump and fun ride and I used to wear it to hack when I first got Harvey and he was an unknown quantity. I have to say that as a male I think its easier to get a comfortable fit!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I'm another that doesn't wear one because I learned to ride in the days before they were heard of. I was taught to roll if I fell and I feel (quite wrongly I imagine) that I wouldn't be able to roll in a BP and I'd snap my neck instead.

Reactions: orbvalley
i only wear my BP if Im going XC, with my airjacket over it.

I do however usually wear my airjacket whenever i ride

I always ride in my BP, I always have done for the last 25 years. I started with the nappy like ones that went between your legs, and have had about 5 different styles since then. I have just ordered a new racesafe one and can't wait until it arrives.

I feel naked without it and have found that I always fall off at random times when I least expect it. I have no idea when my next fall will be so I like to be prepared!

I can recall the ones that fitted underneath you. :rolleyes:
If you want to do any xc training they are compulsory, xc clear rounds and competitions its the same. Can't remember if HT is.
I actually don't feel restricted and don't notice I have it on, if you do it doesn't fit.

It's not much different to a bra really, if you have pain or discomfort that doesn't fit.

What I would quite like someone to invent is a seatbelt:p:D:D
No!!!! few times I've been in a situation where bailing was the safest option, as a result I don't even like deep seated saddles nowadays.

I don't wear a body protector at all, like others have said I learned long before they existed, I feel so restricted if I ride in one that I swear I'm more likely to come off & I certainly can't ride as effectively. When I think of the hats we used to have I shudder!

Reactions: orbvalley
I ride with one all the time. I got on in a hurry a few weeks ago and got straight off as I realised I wasn't wearing it.
Was bucked off years ago I landed on my back, bp saved bruising as I landed on my back. 2 years ago I came off Billy when he bucked/ rodeo. I landed on my arm and rolled backwards. My arm was so swollen and bruised I swear I cracked bones. (Never went to A&E). Back was fine, very minor bruising so I reckon BP saved me. My arm took 4 months to heal.
The one time I didn't wear it, about 6 years ago was because it was too hot. What happened I got bucked off and because I didn't let go of the reins quick enough, horse panicked and swing round trampling my chest they dragged me. Lesson learnt.
You've got it, wear it.
Freak accidents only take a moment.

I have quite a basic one as I don't compete or jump but I always try to wear it. Have had the odd exception recently when I was wearing so many layers that I couldn't do it up so I went without... Oddly when I was learning I never wore one, it's only since I started sharing, I suppose psychologically I had a lot more "what ifs" in my head knowing I'd be out there in the big wide world! But it's weird as my share is very riding school-esque in terms of being incredibly placid.

Sometimes I feel like a bit of a wuss compared to the majority of other riders I see who aren't wearing one but I know it serves a very important purpose and it's ridiculous to think like that I know!

Does anyone know if you need to replace them every couple of years like you do with hats? It's not something I've thought about, although mine is less than a year old.

newrider.com