How to Hack in Hand?

Tally.

Oct 21, 2007
South London/Surrey
I would really like to take Baby out around the golf course where she always gets funny, naps and throws me off her with rears and spinning around :rolleyes:

I would like to take her down there in hand and maybe stand around in some scary spots to try and get her used to it. I would also like to do this in the evening when its dark, as this is the only time of day I can ride during the week.

As she gets so funny when hacking around this particular section I want to take her in a bridle but do I just use the reins to hold her (im thinking if she acts up and rears/spins i might not be able to hold on to short reins) or should i put a knot in the reins and use a lunge rope?
Any help or advice would be great :D

Definitely use a lunge line, but my preference would be a rope or pressure halter rather than a bridle and bit. And don't forget to wear a hat and bp if you have one :) You'll hopefully find she has more confidence with you on the ground, but take all the time you need to.

could I ask why do you think a rope halter is better than a bridle?
She doesnt own one and im not sure what the owner would think about it but I could always ask.
I was going to make sure i was fully fitted out with hat, gloves, BP and me and horse wearing so much Hi Viz you could see us from space :D

I would put a bridal on her but out the reins in a knot, and then attach a lunge line to her bridal, if you get me. Then you wont risk her running off and getting tangled in her bridal, and you can hold her at a longer rein in ase she tries to jump into your arms :p

Mostly so you don't risk ending up ragging her mouth if things go pear shaped :)

Ah I see!

I would put a bridal on her but out the reins in a knot, and then attach a lunge line to her bridal, if you get me. Then you wont risk her running off and getting tangled in her bridal, and you can hold her at a longer rein in ase she tries to jump into your arms :p

Do you mean put the lunge rope on a part of the bridle not attached to the bit? Also do you think the reins will stay in a knot all the way round?

I took Doey out in hand when her feet were bad in Summer.

What we did:

Bridle, but took the reins off completely just in case, this is actually easier than you think but hard to explain...I will need to look at them to remind myself how to do it :eek: you probably know anyway!

Normal lead rope, pass the clip through the left bit ring and attach to the right bit ring.

Walk on the 'normal' side.

All went fine even when a dog came along to say hello, and we had to run/trot back cos my lift was wanting to leave!

I should have had a hat on but didn't, bad me!

Would personally use a bridle and lunge line or really long lead rope

If possible take someone with you, maybe an older sensible horse

And do short bursts

Don't forget hat, BP and gloves!!!

Maybe take some treats, so that when you get past a spooky spot, and feel it went ok, reward your horse (but that is personal perference! mine always get a little treat when they have achieved or did well in regards to whatever i am aiming at)

I regularly walk Malaga out (Especially when he was Mad Malaga) and would always use a rope halter and long lead rope.I don't use a lunge rope as they are so flat and difficult to hold and burn like hell!:eek::D I would also suggest plenty of flourescent on your horse just in case it gets away from you...always be prepared.:D

I would take the reins off just in case they do come undone. You can get a chain with a clip on each end (Newmarket chain) to fasten to the bit rings then attach the lead rope/lunge line to this. This gives you control using the bit in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I might try and get a long lead rope as thinking about it my lunge line is very long.

By the way are you really allowed on the golf coarse or shouldn't I ask! :rolleyes:;):D

Dont worry we arent doing cross country across the bunkers, just following the bridlepath around the edge of it :D

Do you have to go on the public highway to access the golf course or can you get there purely by bridleways?

If you have to use the public highway the Highway Code is quite specific on tack and requirements:

Page 19 Rule 52 RIDING
Before you take a horse on the road, you should
• Ensure all tack fits well and is in good condition
• Make sure you can control the horse
Always ride with other, less nervous horses if you think that your horse will be nervous of traffic. Never ride a horse without both a saddle and
bridle.

Just a word of caution - some insurance companies state that horses MUST be in a full bridle and bit if lead out in hand on a public highway - please check your policy carefully.

Also just from a safety perspective I would not be attempting to do this in the dark in what I assume is a relatively isolated place....

Last edited:
thank you for the information ambatt, I wasnt actually aware of those rules, not that I ever go out without a bridle or sadlle, im not that good a rider :p

I wont need to go on any roads on this route so even if the worst was to happen she could pretty safely just run home. I have ridden her out in the dark before and we ride in an unlit school in the dark and she tends to be ok, but I think i would be safer to walk in hand rather than ride around the golf course as this is the route she acts up on.

newrider.com