How to introduce X to a youngster?

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
Small seed growing in my head lately about introducing Cocaïne to some cross country - I must have a death wish:rolleyes::D! No seriously - I think she'd take to it, she's been brought up outdoors in various terrain of forest/streams/fallen trees etc so I can't think she'd have a major freak out facing the basics. The handicap would more likely be me. I haven't done much cross in my lifetime and haven't touched any for - ooooh 10years maybe. Anyhow she's now 5 and has come on loads over the summer with her dressage & jumping. We've got to the stage where I trust her to get me out of any jumping troubles:):):) So I was wondering when & how is a good time and way to introduce some cross? Equally I wouldn't want to miss the window so thats she's too "old" mentally to tackle new stuff:confused:
Currently at my yard we don't have any facilities for it apart from a huge rolling paddock with two tree trunks but I would be willing to travel with her & my RI to access whatevers necessary............

I introduced mine to both types of jumps in the school and in the field when I introduced her in the beginning around 4 without the rider. Carried on with the rider probably from 5 or 6.
I discovered things I just made use of. I got really excited when I found a fallen tree. :DShe was cool, calm and collected and it was me expressing human excitement!:rolleyes:

We don't have transport but I do have an imagination and have set up a course at my place.
Introducing to cross was just the same as introducing to jumps for us. Initially i set up knock downs in the fields. If you look at HalaHoney xc thread, the starter course was a mix of xc and jump cross. So you could do that and keep it small if it's you that's rusty with a greenie.

Reactions: orbvalley
I introduced Gracie by asking a friend to ride her first for me. If to don't have anyone to ride her, you could always take her to an XC practise ground and lunge her first, so that she gets used to the solid fences before you are on board. They tend to jump the first few quite big in case they touch them!!! :p

I think I have a dvd somewhere - may be Pippa Funnel - showing her taking a new young horse to a fixed cross country course and meeting water for the first time. Very interesting - You could look on You Tube.

I've never put too much thought into it, just take them and see how they go, I don't think its much different to introducing anything else, you've just got to ask and see how they answer.

Like anything start with the small and inviting and as their confidence builds so can the obstacles :)

We start wth logs and tyres in our field and puddles where we find them before going to a local training venue with an older horse to give a lead if necessary, It is basically a large field wth all sorts of xc jumps including water steps and ditches in all sorts of heights from 30cm to 80cm.Going out with your trainer sounds a good plan!!

What about funrides. You get such a mix of jumps from barrels to table tops. To straight uprights poles and different size logs. Billy had only done a few show jump poles in the field. I took him on his first funride in may and he was really good. I new my limits confidence wise but some things we attempted he sailed over. Which gave a booster. If you'd have seen him a 12 month ago. He would have had a hissy fit at a rustic pole. To do a funride and attempt rustic of all different shapes and sizes I was over the moon. He has grown up more since then and I'm hoping to do another next month. I won't ever do proper xc my nerves couldn't take it.

newrider.com