Hows everyone holding up with the weather?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Its blowy here, on my 12 miles to work there was 3 trees down, several big branches that blocked half the road and loads of smaller ones. The horses are fine, no damage I could see in the dark, but changing rugs in 55mph winds was a bad plan o_O

This is by no means the strongest winds we have had this season, but it seems to be causing more damage so far, power is out in my street/end of town, traffic lights are off and no power in the nearest town to work. I'm sure its not a patch on what others are dealing with, at least we don't have rain or snow to go with it yet.

At the moment it is a lot calmer here than it was during the night...and a lot milder too plus the rain has stopped for now anyways :) I haven't got down to the yard yet to see if any trees etc are down, hopefully not as we had one down just a couple of weeks back.
Hopefully you will get your power back on quickly.

Reactions: Jessey
Quite a few branches on the road this morning, but the wind has dropped a bit. Hoping to ride this afternoon so hoping it stays away. This winter seems a lot wetter than last year!

We appear to have been very lucky, windy but used to that - we have had minimal snow and no ice over past few days - fingers crossed it keeps that way - only thing is the ground which is saturated and muddier than it has been for a few years.

No wind here just sleet, hail and snow. Today mostly sleet and then of course there is ice on the yard which I am soo not used to anymore. I don't know what we have forecast. It keeps changing such a lot - one moment the sun is out the next it is black. It's definitely chilly for up here though, Hoy is full of snow which looks very pretty. Managed to get into the village, I do miss not having a landrover though, a normal car is a different kettle of fish, even on council maintained roads.

I couldn't believe a couple of the car drivers I met this morning. I had a car pull out right over the cycle lane right in front of me so I had to swerve around him whilst he sat there revving thinking how cool he was. It's horrible to have to make a quick change of direction when it's not incredibly windy so really could of done without that today! And then a lorry tried to overtake me along a very narrow section, he was obviously having some issues with the wind too and I just thought why are they taking that chance? I went off road in the end, there was so many branches down and it was very dark this morning, not my favourite weather. Lots of damage at work, the main sign was in the middle of the main road so I had to move that, luckily no one had hit it!

I hate this weather! My field is like a bloody lake!! It' freezing on a night after work ( ok I am going to sort Sox out at 19:45!) It's windy and bloody cold here! :(

Totally fed up with weather. Horses are on the hardcore Winter turnouts and are really fed up. Barely ridden for weeks because of heavy rain, wind, snow and ice. Plus having to do everything in the dark after work makes it so much more depressing!

This is the type of damage we have had here, I counted 5 trees down on a stretch of road about 7 miles yesterday, one of my neighbours has had 2 massive trees come down in her field, one is probably over 4ft across
26814875_1532239720163698_8333111327436245139_n.jpg 26733944_10215595647788438_466066397696262104_n.jpg
26804798_10215595647428429_56182562071715750_n.jpg 26731153_10215595646908416_168213567015320383_n.jpg
I'm looking forward to riding at the weekend to go and find some obstacles to play with :D

Gosh @Jessey that looks bad! I always feel sorry for the trees. They do take so long to grow. Perhaps as well we don't have manh up here, far too windy most of the time for anything other than palm trees - ours just bends to the wind.

Most are farmed pines, and the size of those they were due to be harvested pretty soon anyway. The ones around the little building are at the arboretum , its a shame for those ones as they wouldn't be harvested, but its just natures way of pruning I guess :)

It sure felt like spring last night (apart from being bloody cold), the sun was bright and I didn't have to rush to get everything done before it was pitch black outside :) its on its way :D

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com