I'd like your opinion on this but it's not horse related

Hmmm. You haven't had the meetings which form part of your apprentice contract and your manager has refused to meet you to discuss your rate of pay, which you believe is below the national minimum wage. That's really not good.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with Citizens Advice to ask about the exact wording of your contract and whether the training you are receiving might be held to make up for the lack of minimum wage. It takes time to get a meeting. If your boss meets you in the meantime and you are satisfied with her responses, you can cancel. If not, go to the meeting, and ask their advice.

If they suggest that you should escalate, you could go to an industrial tribunal. This is a big thing but they provide good support to employees. You might need a solicitor, but there are briefs who will take on industrial tribunal cases under Legal Aid or no win no fee.
At the moment I'm waiting for college to advise on the apprenticeship side of it all, but it's helpful to have additional info so thank you

I was thinking about this this afternoon, have they said they are not increasing your wage to meet new minimum wage?

If not, would it not be fair to trust that they will meet the legal requirement and only chase this portion of your query if they fail to do so, ie after your next pay slip? Unless you have reason to believe that they will intentionally defraud you?

Absolutely they owe you answers regarding the overtime query, but pursuing the pay increase query before they have had the chance to process anything at the new rate could be seen as a bit pushy.
Maybe I have come across as pushy, I thought they would decide the rate they are paying from April 1st but perhaps they don't decide until April payday.

Maybe I have come across as pushy, I thought they would decide the rate they are paying from April 1st but perhaps they don't decide until April payday.
i would expect them to know already, but perhaps they’re waiting for an accountant to confirm before they tell you or something similar. But in any position it’s not the best to have someone question if you will do your job. This may just be me reflecting, I’m feeling the cruddy boss issues currently myself!

Reactions: MrA
I did word it in a way where she simply could have replied I'll let you know on 'insert date' and it would have been fine. Anyway it's done, will just see.

Reactions: Jessey
I never got a meeting and nothing else was spoken about this but I got paid today, I'm now on the new minimum wage + 0.87%

Thank goodness minimum wage jumped up a large amount!

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com