Ideas for a way of secretly 'paying' please

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
my friend feeds and turns out my horse Monday to Friday and her husband borrows a tractor every fortnight and empties the muck heap for us. In return she pays nothing to keep her horse on my yard, I supply water ad lib hay or haylage and pay the electricity etc.
She also feeds and turns out my friends horse Monday to Friday, but charges her £10 per week.
I now have two horses so want to pay her £10 per week to turn the second one out, he doesn't have breakfast, but she won't take anything off me.
She has promised that I will be her first contact in future if she needs her horses bringing in, turning out etc when she can't get there, but that is a very rare event.
I feel like I'm taking advantage of her!
I want to 'pay' her somehow but without making it obvious. I am short of time so can't poo pick her fields for her or something simple like that.
Should I just leave her to it? Or do I put £10 a week away and wave £500 under her nose in a years time? May be a bit harder to say no to it then.

Does she have any subscriptions to anything? Does she compete? Use any supplements or feeds you could get a 6 or 12 month supply of?Maybe paying for something you know she has or does in advance and a little thank you card along side it? Otherwise popping it away and giving her it in a lump sum would probably be my way of doing it :)

I love the idea of saving it up for her and then giving it to her - what a wonderful surprise that would be and I have no doubt she would be very grateful for it. :)

Reactions: orbvalley
Around here it's £17.50 a week to turn out. That's inclusive of feed and rug change.

Who is the new horse? :D

If you are providing her with free livery and hay, I think that she has got a very good deal. Even the cheapest livery round my way costs £100 per month with hay and haylege extra. I think that sorting your 2 horses in the morning is more than a good deal for her. I would leave her to it.

I'd be inclined to leave well alone, you might upset her if you push the issue. But if you have a day when you have some spare time you could always muck out her stable or clean her tack, little things like that can be a lovely surprise & are unlikely to give offence.

It could be complicated Tax wise if she were receiving pay for work done. I think you are lovely to think of this but agree to leave it at least for now. Appreciation and the odd present from time to time , if you think you really owe her.

Agree with skib. A decent christmas present and a meal out would be all I'd look for. As much as saving up £500 sounds great and waiving it at her, it doesn't sound like she's the sort of person who would take it.
I'm the type who likes to help other folk but hates accepting help or payment myself. I'd be a tad offended and uncomfortable taking that sum of money. For her it's probably the reassurance that some one could help her if needed.

Think you're right, she could be offended.

I will keep my ears open for when she is talking about things she needs for her horse, and treat her occasionally, also a bag of the horse treats she feeds. A meal out to say thank you is a great idea, and one I know she will accept.
Who is the new horse? :D

New horse is Mylo. 13.3 gypsy cob. 6 years onld, a bit overweight and in need of schooling, but he is great out hacking and a real fun ride. Takes most things in his stride and although he got a bit excited on a hack in company yesterday, he came back to walk when I asked and let the other horse trot off.
Just need to get some weight off him. We have our first lesson booked for next Saturday.

:D:D
That's the chap I liked.
Look forward to his updates. Had he a diary. I think the cob would like him as a virtual boyfriend, she only has three real life ones on the go just now. :p

Slightly different circumstances but when my RI repeatedly didn't charge me for lessons I saved the money and bought her a hand made leather crop with silver engraved cap - was very jealous of it as I've wanted one for years!:oops:

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com