Ideas please

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm trying to think of the foods I can take with me when I do big overnight rides, more specifically my 300 mile Wales ride planned for September. I will have a little stove to heat water, and I need foods to be as lightweight as possible, I was going to try dehydrating my own foods but having since tried it I simply won't be able to do it all as the prep and cooking takes ages. I know I can buy pre packaged dry meals but they aren't cheap when you will be living on it for 3-4 weeks so was going to try getting what I can to make up my own meals. I'm vegetarian and am looking for dried foods that are 'just add water' as wet foods will weigh poor jess down too much.

So far I have these on the list;
Smash potatoes
Noodles
Custard powder
I think there is a veggie mince meat replacement that is dried but I can't remember the name
Gravy
Redi-brek/oatmeal
Cuppa soup
Mug shots/pasta in sauce
Rice
Couscous

I get the feeling this may end up being a serious crash diet if I can't come up with more. I can dehydrate some veggies pretty easily to go with things.

Last edited:
Have you tried looking on the hiking websites? Are you taking things like seed bars and nuts/raisons to snack on?

Just out of curiosity - where are you getting your boiling water from?

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I remember seeing packet dried foods at a hiking / outdoor shop. Not sure how good they would be taste wise tho! Also not sure on cost. If you look on ebay sometimes you can buy things like that in multiples and they work out cheaper.

Reactions: Jessey
Yeah I'll take snacky things for during the day. I have brought a jetboil stove, it's diddy and the parts stack inside the cup/pan, that will be the boiling, the water I'm hoping I can find on route :D the packet meals work out at £5-7 each when I've looked, okay for a day or two but that will add up on 23 days :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 10
Pot noodles are what long distance hikers and climbers live on! Plus I thoroughly recommend Eat Natural bars, they are comparatively heavy but very nutrient dense.

I really like tesco 11p curry noodles, same as a pot noodle without the pot :p
I just found dried eggs :D scrambled egg breakfasts are on the menu.

Reactions: Trewsers
Warm custard and ginger nuts are the ultimate breakfast gorge!!

Be careful with pot noodle as they are high in salt and will leave you thirsty/dehydrated - fine if you are likely to sweat a lot but just be mindful.

Also they now do cuppa porridge which is just add water as has dried milk in it :) there are similar energy/protein porridge in Asda too :)

Also if you look in squash section you will find mini robinsons squash shots if you want sugars in water - tiny strong concentrate :)

And thins such as nuts/dried fruits will be great as they give you estial oils/fats as well as nutrients

I toyed with getting another horse to use as a pack horse as poor little hanks legs would have to work twice as hard as Jess's. I'm going to try to post boxes to my weekly stop off points so I don't have to carry the whole lot all the way.

Thats a good idea. I do that sometimes when I'm on holidays if I've no room in my case and I really want something.

Lol MIL presented me with another random gift, and I thought of you and your trip! A packet of savoury rice from Lidl - trouble is, you have to microwave it otherwise it would have been okay!!!

newrider.com