Insurance Company Recommendations please

Samantha

Jul 18, 2015
I have just bought my first pony , my gorgeous Lucy, and am looking at taking out insurance. Most people are recommending me to NFU as no problems with payouts re vet bills. Just wondered what type of policy others would recommend and any other recommendations please? X

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 15
Am trust equine, was recommended to me by a vet who's also a friend, what I would say is do your research and maybes read the thread about cancelling insurance as it mentions in there one company to avoid like the plague. Some who offer cheaper policies seem a better deal but will drag their heels or simply not pay out when needed.x

Reactions: Samantha
E&l have pretty rubbish reviews for paying out - I would ask your vets if they have any companies they prefer to work with - mine will claim from PetPlan directly but not from e&l... Read the underwriting too as who it's underwritten by can be sneaky - the animals trust I think it is is by e&l

E&l have pretty rubbish reviews for paying out - I would ask your vets if they have any companies they prefer to work with - mine will claim from PetPlan directly but not from e&l... Read the underwriting too as who it's underwritten by can be sneaky - the animals trust I think it is is by e&l

Thank you for that. X

@popularfurball you had me worried. Nope mine are underwritten by a m trust Europe ltd and the insurer is equicover. It says a m trust is a trading name of am trust Europe ltd, authorised by prudential regulation authority. I know they must pay out as it was a vet who was complaining about e&l and recommended am trust. Personally I'd Google reviews and see what companies are good at paying out when the need arises before committing to any.x

After doing a little online research I found this statement on another forum... For avoidance of doubt AM trust would like to make it clear that AM trust equine is a trading name of AM trust Europe ltd our FSA number is 202189. We have no connection whatsoever to E&L or any of their other trading styles. x

I have just bought my first pony , my gorgeous Lucy, and am looking at taking out insurance. Most people are recommending me to NFU as no problems with payouts re vet bills. Just wondered what type of policy others would recommend and any other recommendations please? X

Lovely horse:)

I'm with SEIB, I have put 5 or 6 large claims through them and they have always been fab, at the vet hospital last week they mentioned they can be a pain if you don't do things by the book like let them know exactly what's happening but I have never had a problem personally, they have always been super at dealing with things, they are in fact still willing to pay out on a claim from 2013 where my silly vets somehow managed to not send all the invoices through :rolleyes: which I am very surprised they are even considering :)

So is horse-insurance.co.uk. Mind you I was with them for a year, and had to claim, and had no problems either with my vets refusing to work with them or them paying out.

I always used to be with NFU and they were very efficient at dealing with me when I had to claim for my boy who underwent colic surgery and sadly didn't make it. But their prices have gone up and up and I simply couldn't afford them anymore so switched to Petplan. I am currently claiming from them for Dylan's arthritis and have so far claimed 3 times this year and each time they have paid up with no problems.

I am with Petplan. I have only claimed once in almost 4 years and they were fabulous.

One hint about insurance is to check and see if it is cheaper to get your personal liability insurance cheaper via the BHS and then remove it from your insurance policy. I have gold insurance with the BHS for about £60 per year and then remove this from my petplan insurance. I can't remember exactly what it saved but it was significantly more than £60 over a year.

Also, if you are primarily wanting to claim for vets bills and not too fussed about 'loss of use', put the value for your horse down for something low - under £1000. This will lower your monthly premium by a significant amount. I pay £32 a month with my horses value at £1000 but when I put his value up to £3500 (which is what I paid for him) the premium was about double this.

Another tip is that your tack is only insurable if you have the orginal receipts and the tack is locked in a tack room which meets the requirements. My tack came with my horse so I therefore have no receipts for it and cannot insure it. They do not tell you this though, many people are paying for insurance for their tack which they would never be able to claim on.

When all my tack was stolen 2 years ago I claimed throught SEIB, I didnt have recipts for everything as a lot was brought 2nd hand over the years but I was able to prove ownership by photos of it in use and they covered the whole lot no problem including my western saddle being written off for a twisted tree by the manufacturer without them ever seeing it (they decided shipping it back and forth to the states was not cost efficent) so do check the fine print, some companies will cover you.

Thank you everyone. I went with nfu in the end but had to drop value and not insure tack to bring it down to £39 a month! X

I'm glad I found this thread as I am looking to insure lacy. I am probably going to go with carriage house insurance has anyone else used this? I have in the past used Petplan but they were slow to pay out for my sons pony when she died although they did pay. Looking for a cheaper policy as petplan quote was expensive.

newrider.com