Is it normal??

zozo

Mar 2, 2023
So I just want to check I'm not been over protective šŸ˜…, as you can see in photos horses heel buds have some peeling, should be worried?? There is no heat, no smell, no junk/ooze, she picks them up Let's me does as please and no other signs of pain. The field is sooo muddy I'm hoping it's just because of that, she comes in at night, there picked twice a day, I've used a hard brush on them and sprayed with tea tree just to make sure if anything is open it's clean, although can't see any open bits. She had farrier about 3 weeks ago and all was fine then. ... really wish it would stop raining/snowing
20230316_163358.jpg

Attachments

• 20230316_163404(0).jpg
    20230316_163404(0).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 6
Mine gets that sometimes. Itā€™s just the frog shedding. Farrier is not concerned but you can trim yourself (just the loose bit, I donā€™t go too near the attached bit) if you feel confident. But equally they will just shed off of farrier can trim at next visit.

Her legs are always caked in mud at moment it's awful, been using pig oil which seems to help a lot. But it's one them she needs to go out but the field around the entrance and in certain places is a swamp, if you stand still for longer than 10 seconds your basically stuck for life šŸ¤£ ... she's fine and takes her self off down the end to grass and leaves me to fend for my self šŸ™„

She is very fluffy! .. oh I'm not concerned now, I'll keep my eye just in case, we only ever loaned before but nothing as heavy and just hadn't seen it before
Is this the new pony?
I hope it's going great and you will have lots of fun.
You may find you get really big chestnuts as well. šŸ˜‚

It is the new pony!! She has the biggest ergots I've seen hidden amongst her feathers on all 4s. I know they don't cause problems usually but grooming is a worry as they are split so going see if can peel them or ask farrier trim them

It is the new pony!! She has the biggest ergots I've seen hidden amongst her feathers on all 4s. I know they don't cause problems usually but grooming is a worry as they are split so going see if can peel them or ask farrier trim them
I trim mine as they will split.

Is it a cob thing - the huge chestnuts and ergots? Hogan's are humongous, I don't recall Ramsey's being so huge.

newrider.com