Is this just a cut/graze

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
noticed blood on my cob today, maybe it wasn't alot but looked it to me :( hes white and it was on the outer layer of feather, back leg, low down, so i cut the feather from around it so i could see it properly, still couldnt see because of dry blood, pic attached if after i gave it a first wash... I couldnt quite get a good look at it because its like on the inside of the lower leg, only just looke at the picture now i am home (couldnt see in the sunlight) now im wondering if its more of a sore? (Having a panic like i do!!)

What i did so far- checked for heat, no heat. No swelling. Gave it it a little squeeze, no puss. It isnt hurting him around it just the actual cut/graze looking bit makes him snatch away. Checked the field and only thing i can see that he could have done it on is the new trees at the bottom, they are very low and hes sort of trampled through them and basical smashed them to bits, so maybe a branch/stick caught him? Anyway washed with hibbi scrub, left to dry and then he wouldnt me let look again after to see what it really was after i spent half an hour poking and prodding it :( managed to get a quick spray of terramicin on it though.

So to everyone elses eye does it look like an irritated sore? Or a graze/cut? Worrying too as fields are boggy, dont want dirt and nasties getting in. Might have to zoom in on pic x

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 15
It is hard to tell from the pic but it sounds like you've done right cleaning it - is the spray you mentioned an anti bac thing? Don't think I've ever used that. I'd keep an eye on it - but you said no swelling etc. Hopefully it will be something and nothing.

Just a thought - if it's on his inside of his leg could he have caught it with his other hoof? Or rubbed on something? Chloe often gets sore on the inside of her legs but she does have chronic mud fever. But she does sometimes catch the opposing leg.

Just a thought - if it's on his inside of his leg could he have caught it with his other hoof? Or rubbed on something? Chloe often gets sore on the inside of her legs but she does have chronic mud fever. But she does sometimes catch the opposing leg.
The spray is anti biotic spray the vet gave me for a bad hole he had in his hoof. Since it was quite dirty before the clean thought id use that instead of purple spray, sprayed it on and left him stood for half an hour so it could soak in and what not

good point about the hoof, didnt think of that! Hes been stamping the opposite foot lately too (no sign of mite, think its just the mud as he seems to do it whenever his feather have mud clumps on) so could easily of done that! Its in a place where he could have caught himself, plus hes always flying round the field like hes a playful foal (total dope to ride though!) so yes good point, thanks for that! X

newrider.com