Jess' leg

Fingers crossed the cream works, I know lower legs don't respond as well as other places to oral antibiotics but they can help. Did he take any samples? If he didn't then I'd ask him to if the miracle cream doesn't work, sometimes persistent infections have developed a resistance & different antibiotics are needed.
Nope he didn't think it necessary, he was pretty confident this stuff would work, apparently it's the stuff they use during intestinal surgery so is mild on tissue but very effective and longer acting than some. I will definitely use for scrapes if it doesn't clear up.

Reactions: carthorse
I was trying to decide that myself tonight....
This was Saturday after she stood on it again (I think, I was on board at the time)
FB_IMG_1513799092584.jpg
Yesterday
FB_IMG_1513799102356.jpg
Today
FB_IMG_1513799096975.jpg
There no scabs forming, but that lovely yellow scaleyness is... interesting....
I'll text a picture to the vet tomorrow and see what he thinks before Xmas is upon us. The leg hasn't swollen again tho.

Poor girl was thoroughly fed up with the daily scrubbing, so at 7 days of it yesterday and it looking quite angry I thought I'd give it the night without cream and let the air dry it up a bit.
First day after the vet treated it
FB_IMG_1514047342619.jpg
Last night FB_IMG_1514047183324.jpg
Today
FB_IMG_1514047187261.jpg
I'm not convinced it's any better at all, the scabs seem to be further spread now :( originally it was only the thin band about the coronet.

I hate to say it but to me it almost looks worse :(

Do you think the daily scrubbing may be damaging the skin & allowing the infection, or whatever it is, to spread further? I understand the need to keep it clean, but it might be damned if you do & damned if you don't. Will she stay in quietly so you could do away with the scrubbing for a few days & see if that helps? Also might it be worth doing a patch test with the cream somewhere else just in case she's having a slight reaction to it?

Reactions: BirdieBird
I think its looking a bit more worse too, I would be inclined not to scrub at it for a while and see if it calms down a bit..Poor Jess it does look quite raw :(

Just edited to add it looks a lot more crusty so it must be oozing or weeping?

Glad I'm not just imagining it, it's not oozing, but has a kind of scaley layer, almost like burnt skin which is another reason I stopped the cream yesterday, that scaley layer crusted up with nothing on it and the whole area is sore.

I've got no where to put her in and she wouldn't be quite if I did, and she's horribly dirty in which wouldn't help it. I could cover it with something light and loose to keep it clean but the vet was very specific that putting new cream over old was pointless and it must be scrubbed and all scabs removed once or twice daily.

I'll go back to the less is more approach until I can talk to the vet on Wednesday :(

Reactions: joellie
I think cover it & less is more is the way I'd be going at this point too.

Is this the antibiotic cream? If so I'd maybe give it a day or two & then try a plain emollient type cream that you know she doesn't react to just to keep the scaly skin soft & supple.

ETA some vets still recommend daily scrubbing & scab removal for mud fever but most that I know now think this just spreads the infection & destroys the cells at the edges that are trying to heal. Instead they suggest clean it once then apply whatever cream they believe in & wrap in clingfilm with a bandage over the top to keep it clean & encourage the scabs to soften & come away naturally.

Poor girlie. That looks really sore.

I would try giving her a little while off the harsh cream and maybe use something very gentle and herbal like a calendula ointment just to soothe it. I really hope it improves soon.

Reactions: Jessey
Chloe's looked like that at one point and vet gave me isaderm gel because it seemed to break the itch scratch and promoted healing. Lots of vibes for it getting better soon.

I hope it sorts out.

The only thing I've seen but it still
Looked quite different was an abscess that
Popped out at the coroner band.
I asked about it being abscess given her history of them but the vet thought it was an odd place for one.
Chloe's looked like that at one point and vet gave me isaderm gel because it seemed to break the itch scratch and promoted healing. Lots of vibes for it getting better soon.
She's not itchy with it, it's just scabby and horrid.

I asked about it being abscess given her history of them but the vet thought it was an odd place for one.

She's not itchy with it, it's just scabby and horrid.

Ah, least that's one thing then and hopefully more chance of quicker healing without it being itchy all the time.

Reactions: Jessey
Raf has had an abscess on his pastern but it didn't look like that - it was just a few scabs where it broke out and which dried and healed once the pus had drained. Our vet doesn't recommend the whole scrubbing thing but YO still does it. I know she's used camrosa ointment in the past which has been successful.

newrider.com