Jumping- In the 1930's, ( photos and video)

I am loving this book as much as the last one. I will get to the two disappointing parts off it, I don't agree with everything that's written.
Obviously health and safety would all be whiter than the jump seeing that propped up. That's doesn't look like that common sense people talk off, however this was a totally different era.

He felt that using wings or side boards was unnecessary with a well trained horse. It was forcing not training.
I think they take up too much space personally and can't be bothered to fetch them out and put back. It's just quicker to use cones and poly.

He disliked the jumping lane, saying it creates speed and hinders balance. If the horses refuses several times, lunging over is advisable.
It takes months to get a horse to jump decently and years to make really good jumper.

But, over winter I am inspired to try this.
PicsArt_11-06-07.40.35.jpg
No not a chair exactly, but something at my level that we can have fun with and achieve.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
I wasn't lucky enough to have a pony as a child but my best friend did and she (and sometimes she let me) jumped her pony over all manner of things, chairs included. He just jumped whatever she asked him to. It never occurred to me that actually jumping is more complicated and difficult than that. I realise now, of course :oops:

What types of things Bodshi? I am thinking of a poly jump block on its side? It doesn't need to be big I need to be accurate first.

As a youngster I used to jump anything in sight, I think of things now and cringe, there was this one set of metal railings at the golf course with 8" spikes at the top....the horses could see it better to jump if your threw your coat over it first!!! :eek::eek::eek: In the school if we could move it we made jumps out of it, often a mishmash of things on their sides laid together, barrels, chairs, jump standards, Christmas trees, balls. Out and about anything was game, logs, bushes, walls, fences, straw and hay when it was baled on the field...hours of fun :D

Reactions: Cortrasna
Bales and barrels are always great fun.
I have thought of something and looking forward to having a play next time in the school. It might encourage me to use the space more. :)

Polyblocks start with a few and take them away as you get more accurate. Ride skinnies with your seat and legs not hand, is a good tip I was given.

Reactions: newforest
What types of things Bodshi? I am thinking of a poly jump block on its side? It doesn't need to be big I need to be accurate first.

Anything we could make, she had some rusty old barrels and lots of bricks and we made piles out of twigs and big sticks. They had an orchard so we used to perch long branches between the trees to create jumps. Nothing substantial, or that looked pretty, or much like a jump either lol. Outside, I remember park benches were a favourite, despite them being next to a tarmac path :eek: I never jumped one of those though, just watched, but never thought anything of it, like "oh, maybe we shouldn't be doing this" etc. Should point out, she never jumped a bench with anyone sitting on it :D

Created this and it looks really simple if you haven't got a cob that took off in order to clear both sets of poles! She then threw in a few bucks and looked daggers at me for creating something so darn wide it's like a yoga session!
And people ask me why I lunge her over jumps first, because if I screw up I can usually walk over and fix it ;)
Once she popped the middle, I ditched one set of poles.

Hindsight, I think asking her to clear a skinny arrow head was too big and ask. The poles didn't assist either so next plan is something small but oblong?
PicsArt_11-07-04.31.56.jpg

He goes on to talk about jumping every other day.
When the height reaches 3'6 the number of jumps must be decreased to ten. The shock to the forehand if you are jumping 4ft can prematurely weaken the legs, but anything very low at 2ft can be increased to 25. (That's the equivalent of two sj classes)

This is the cob jumping my tree. The first ask just had her trotting straight through it. That thought did cross my mind, will she see it. So I puffed it up slightly and made it bigger for her- probably too big!
All I notice from this is the front legs snapped up and the stretched hindleg.

If anyone else wants to add photos please do. Not interested in giving critic, just an observation of the different stages and what the horse is doing.

Attachments

• PicsArt_11-12-05.34.41.jpg
    PicsArt_11-12-05.34.41.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 12
You guys will love this. Does anyone want to experiment?

A normal horse - (this doesn't apply to me then, but I would like someone to work out the pony expectations:D)
After completing their schooling they should be able to clear 3ft from a walk and 3'6 from trot.
To actually start teaching the horse how to jump he teaches from walk and has raised the poles off the ground up to 1ft. The horse just steps over without speeding up or slowing down.
He wants the horse to learn just using its balance and the first jump is 1ft6 also from walk and gradually a slow trot.

What do you think the pony heights might be. Mine might step over or attempt to jump 1ft from walk.

Hank could step over a slim 1ft like a pole, he would have to jump a 1ft tree trunk though just through lack of leg length to step over.

Hank could step over a slim 1ft like a pole, he would have to jump a 1ft tree trunk though just through lack of leg length to step over.
Yes he said just use a pole initially. Would like to see a pic of little hack that would be so adorable. :D
Will ask mine to simply step over, maybe make it 1"3 to see if that creates a jump just using balance. Be something to do in the school as part of schooling.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes he said just use a pole initially. Would like to see a pic of little hack that would be so adorable. :D
Will ask mine to simply step over, maybe make it 1"3 to see if that creates a jump just using balance. Be something to do in the school as part of schooling.
I'll have a play when I get a moment in daylight to take some pics. Hank will jump a 2ft log from a walk, there's one on one of our routes, its too big for Jess to walk over properly, she can step with the front end (just) but has to hop her bum over it, Hank just pops it when I'm leading him that way :) On another route we had a downed tree a few years ago, it was in a precarious position next to the river so I got off and went under it as it was at waist height, Jess popped it from a standstill and didn't try to rush away from it, which I guess means she jumped it with balance.

Had a play but with what I have I could only make 10" or 1ft2. I started small and left it to her how she got over, then put it up- again up to her how she got over.
She got her front over the 1ft2 then hopped the back. Next time she just jumped it. However because I was leaving it up to her how she got over I noticed she was preferring to jump it at a 45 degree angle. My guess is that's easier?

Ps. I bet if I find a nice log and walk up to it she can step over it when I would be hoping for a hop. :D

Eta found this.https://www.ofhorse.com/view-post/The-Benefits-of-Jumping-a-Horse-From-Walk

Last edited:
newrider.com