Just got back from first ever solo hack :-)

cluckyduck

Nov 12, 2008
Dubai, UAE
So... I decided that it was time to hack my new share horse out by myself. I've been sharing him since beginning of Jan but have known him about a year now. I know he's a total gentleman and normally very calm so I was feeling OK... haven't hacked out at all since September when I had a bad experience with an RS horse spinning, prancing and backing up in the middle of a road with cars and buses coming (very scary) :eek:.

All went well, we just walked. I had to work hard to stop him turning for home at every junction. I talked to him constantly and tried hard to be calm and remember to breathe. There was just one hairy moment - whilst riding on the road (a country-type road) a huge noisy bus came flying past, didn't slow down at all!! He spooked - I had no idea what he was gonna do, didn't know if he'd bolt or rear but I managed to stay on and get him calmed down again. That was it though - he decided we were going home! To be honest I agreed with him :D He spooked again at the next particularly noisy van that came by but nothing major and we got home calmly and without incident.

All in all we were out for 30 mins and I'm pleased. Baby steps and all that! We're still getting to know each other after all...

Think we'll have another little hack next week :)

ah wow, well done! sounds like you had a pretty eventful first solo hack! You seemed to manage really well though and well done for remembereing to breath!

Baby steps are always good, dont want to overdo anything straight away. Good luck on your next hack and keep us posted! :D

YEY well done.....a solo hack is a huge achievement and you should be very proud of yourself and your horse.

Heres to the next one!!!:D

Oh just wanted to wave to you in Dubai, i lived there for 7 years.

gx

Thanks all, I have to say I'm feeling pretty proud of myself :D - pics are coming I promise! They are on hubby's laptop and he's away on business til Sunday... I'm desperate to post some cos I wanna tell the world about my fab horse :D

Georgie1 - big waves from Dubai! When were you here? We've been here 5 years now - its an 'interesting' place... weather is great though!!!

Thats great - I remember how good I felt when going out on my first hack alone on "proper" roads and across bridleways. My experience is that they spook less and less as the routes get more familiar - though you cant legislate for every crazy pheasant bent on self destruction or mad bus drivers for that matter! And once you get used to doing the regular routes, you know each other well enough to try a few new ones.:)

newrider.com