Keeping a horse on painkillers in retirement

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
Arns pain/mobility is worse. Had a flare up Saturday and vet says is combination of arthritis and bad feet from previous lammis.
He has been on bute when shod, have also tried a range of supplement which had no effect.
He has sleep deprivation as can't lay down to sleep, but rolls from time to time, although hasn't rolled since saturdays flare up.
He is fully shod as would not cope without, vet says can try heartbar shoes and/or gel pads with normal shoes.
Now will be on 1 and a half bute twice a day. Vet says can also try metacam and another painkiller I can't remember.
He has been generally bright in himself ans still bosses Corrie about and has had the odd voluntary trot over the field, again not since Saturday.
I talked with the vet at length and I think this is the beginning of the end for Arns, he is only 14 but his condition is such that he can't get better and I can't let him be in pain.
The sleep issue worries me.
Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do?
He has been retired almost two years, obvs I don't care about him being ridden, but he has to be happy to be a horse.

Oh this is a hard one because everyone has different opinions. If he was mine & I could get him comfortable & happy on painkillers then I would, but knowing that he's only going to get worse when that's no longer the case I'm afraid I would say goodbye. I think as long as he's happy I'd try to get him the summer with plenty of pain relief - sod possible long term effects, to put it bluntly he doesn't have a long term - then reassess come the autumn, maybe with your vet because it can be hard to be objective when you see them every day. Keep an eye open for changes in character or behaviour though, they can be big clues.

I'm sorry, I know its hard. I've spent most of the day in tears because tomorrow is a year since I lost Jim. Big hugs to you xxx

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
So sorry to read this - all I can say, and bear in mind every single horse and owner is different, and only you know him well enough to judge how he truly feels these days - When Solly could no longer get down to sleep, or if he did it was very touch and go if he would ever manage to get up again and he spent most of his days and nights looking extremely depressed and hardly moving from one spot in the field to another, despite increasingly large amounts of bute - I just knew it was enough. He needed to be allowed to go, even if I wasn't ready to let him go. Tough decision altogether and I don't envy you one bit. :(

Will the bute or Danillon allow him to roll and lay down?
That would probably be decider for me. If they can't live as a horse.

:( its the worst part of owning animals. Metacam is pretty good stuff and not as harsh on the gut when higher doses are needed. I wouldn't hesitate to try that or bute to get him comfortable enough to sleep, the long term effects of that would be more concerning to me than those of pain meds at this stage.
I think we often know in our gut when the time comes, even if our heart is breaking at the thought. I had a few months with pheonix, I called the vet out a couple of times and he thought he was OK to carry on, the last time I called there was no question, it was different to the times I'd been agonising over it, I knew for sure it was the right thing for him then.

My old boy has ringbone arthritis and I monitor him carefully he isn't on any pain killers and is field sound. To be brutally honest if my old boy couldn't lie down I'd call it a day. It's about quality not quantity at the end of the day and a horse that has to be on bute every day just to be comfortable to lie down have a trot doesn't sit right with me. Horses are very stoic animals and don't show pain so it can be hard to tell how uncomfortable they are. It's a horrible part of owning animals and trying to work out what's best for them can be heart breaking as it's not always what's best for us.

It is so difficult and nobody can really say one way or another what should be done / doing. My Storm is now retired and has arthritis in both hocks and an on going tendon issue which flares up now and again. She is on long term low dose danilon and I've just begun her on Nutraquin plus for the stiffness as well. She is bright as a button and full of beans - bossing and chivvying the others about. The moment that changes we'll have to re think. She can look stiff on tight turns etc but on the whole we think is still enjoying a good quality of life. But I dread the day I will have to do the deed and know it will break my heart all over again just like when we lost J. But that's all part and parcel of having them in our lives and something we go through isn't it? Thinking very much of you and hope that you can make a choice that you feel is the right one.

This is nearly my issue as well. My boy is older (17) however he is on long term Bute as well. I don't actually know if he is sleeping in the field as I have never seen him down in the 9 yrs of owning him ! He does roll though as he has all the marks to show it and I see him do it often enough.

He was being lightly driven still until this week as he enjoys it and he likes going out and about. I have just recently got a second pony for company for him, however at the last vet visit she did say he would need more careful monitoring. If he needed shoes to stay field sound, and couldn't sleep then I would be giving him a good summer of pain relief and re-examine him in the autumn. The fact you are asking the question now shows you are mentally 'on the path' - have a big hug as it's a sh*t place to be.

WE had the same situation with Josh, he was 16 when we took the decision, we had kept him going for 2 years and thought we had got over the worst, but he had issues other than the mobility and on his last attack we discussed with the vet and the decision was made that it was in his welfare to PTS, we were devastated we could have tried to pull him round but it was a slim chance and the vet would have tried if we had said yes that route but on balance and after soul searching we had to admit that it was the best thing for him.

Tess on the other hand is 27 fully retired now but has COPD, she is on meds for that but the vet assures us she is not in pain, she is happy plodding round the field keeping the others in order and whilst that remains the same then we will carry on with her current management, we have to be realistic though and face the fact that next winter may be too much - we will see, but as soon as Pain and management for that comes into the equation as much as it will devastate our lives we will let her go - its the least she deserves.

Thank you everyone.
He is noticeably better now on bute and even trotted a few paces from choice,
He can roll and always has been able to but he can't lay down and sleep. I know this because he falls over whenever he relaxes and dozes, often when I am in the field with him as he is very relaxed when I am just stood with him. Also the very hint of sedation on a dose for a pony a quarter of his weight has him almost flat out falling. The vet confirms that this shows he does not get proper sleep. It breaks my heart to think of it.
He is however brighter in himself now and making attempts at chivvying Corrie out of the way which is his usual behaviour.
Its very, very hard.
Am thinking play it by ear whilst establishing pain control but if he has more major flare ups will rethink, if not will rethink before winter.
I feel awful like a judas being with him knowing this is a possibility but I know I have to do whatever is best for him.

newrider.com