Knee pain

An_Riz

May 20, 2017
Hi all,

In the past 2 weeks or so my knees have been sore whilst in the riding trot, and off the horse when going up the stairs, bending with my knees or putting pressure on them in general. The pain is on the inside of my leg and worse in my right knee.

I'm wondering if this pain is being caused by stirrup length? Does anyone have any experience with this affecting your knees? I have looked for similar threads on the subject but most people were saying to go to the GP or that it could be caused by back issues etc. But I think it's simpler than that in my case and I'm perhaps doing something strange with my body that is not good for my knees. My RI has not mentioned anything odd in my body position on the horse, making me think it's to do with stirrups?

P.S I change horse quite often at my equestrian centre and therefore change saddle and have to find a comfortable stirrup length before each lesson so my stirrups are not the same length each time... which... cant't be helping the issue!! Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!

I ride very long to prevent excruciating knee pain, but I also got the problem diagnosed by the doc and they've said I'm doing no damage :)
I'm 5'4" and ride the same length as friends who are 5'8-10", I can't get on with Gp saddles now for more than the odd ride as I'm inclined to ride shorter to get the leg stability as thats how they are designed, so I have a dressage saddle for my mare.

I use Sprenger stirrups, as they help alleviate any discomfort I get from an old injury.

I ride reasonably long, which helps.

I could probably school for a short period with regular stirrups, but I routinely hack 10+ miles and I'd definitely notice a difference.

I use a shock absorbing seat saver too, which I don't think can do any harm.

Have you looked into Pilates? I swear by this also :)

Reactions: Taffie
If I ride too short for too long it hurts my knees. I used to get achey knees on hour plus hacks but my freejump stirrups seemed to help with that.

Playng around with stirrup length may help if you're secure enough in your seat to do this. If the school doesn't mind then buying something like Sprenger stirrups may help too, but check with the school first in case they aren't happy with you fiddling around with tack.

Are you gripping with your knees when you rise? heck yourself next time & mention it to your RI too, the rise shouldn't come from the knee but it's a common problem.

Knee pain can be what is called referred pain arising from stress or degeneration in the lower spine.
I to ride with lonbg stirrups and hack in Sprenger stirrups which reduce the stress on one's joints.
But the pressure on my lower back (with which I have non-curable problems) depends on the shape of both horse and saddle.
I cant ride a wider horse or one with a wide flat top to its back. I cant ride cobs. I mean it feels all right for half an hour or so but I am in pain afterwards. I also need an open style old fashioned saddle in which I can move. I am not good in a dressage saddle and am physically incapable of holding myself in a correct position on the horse .
So attempting to do well in a conventional UK riding lesson will leave me in pain the next day.

I think you need to consult your doctor but do mention your back at the same time - because my GP years ago sent me for a knee X ray and nothing was found. It wasnt till my condition deteriorated and became serious that a medic noticed my spine.

Thanks for all your replies! I may try those stirrups mentioned if they are not too expensive. Strangely the pain has pretty much gone since I wrote this post. Sooo it was probably me gripping with my knees while posting for a few days out of negligence or having my stirrups too short. One of my coaches insists on having stirrups quite short and the other allows me to find a more comfortable length so it's most likely a mixture of both bad posting position and sometimes too short stirrups.

If it continues though I will for sure look into investing in those sprenger stirrups. Thanks for your help and advice as always guys. :)

What you wrote about your two RIs having different ideas about stirrup lengths is important. I was once obliged to leave a riding school when a new RI arrived who insisted on my riding with short stirrups.
There are different views on almost everything in riding - but the priority should be your health safety and comfort on a horse.
If there is pain after a lesson or the next day, one should always tell the instructor so they can adjust the work or avoid certain excercises.
Riding has to be adapted to the body of the rider. It should be a physical benefit, not causing further damage.
And yes in the UK Sprenger stirrups are very expensive. They come from Germany.

newrider.com