Last goodnight for Jack

Oh I'm so sorry - I've been off the forum for a few days and missed this. Belated hugs. I looked at that photo of him and it was so reminiscent of how Ramsey looked when I made the decision that I cried for you. So hard to call it, but so right. You showed your love for him when he most needed it. Sleep tight Jack.

Reactions: Bodshi
Thank you. He was loved, but I still feel like we betrayed him. If only we could all die peacefully in our sleep!
No, you know what, i don’t ever wish that for my animals. I watched my mother die. It took weeks. every time I left her room, I would turn to my sister and say “I wouldn’t put an animal through this”. It was torture for Mum and for us. I will never get over that. Her last words to me were “help me” and I couldn’t. my glib reply was “I could send for the vet”.

so, no never think that. It is not a kind option. @Wally always said “better a day too early than a day too late” and she was right.

Thank you all so much. What a lovely lot you are. I completely agree with you about people @Frances144, I went through the same with my mum, who had written a living will asking to be euthanized if it was legal by the time she became incapacitated.

I'm OK thanks @carthorse and thanks for thinking of me. It's something a lot of you have had to go through I know, and I am honestly grateful that we were able to say goodbye to Jack while he was still relatively ok and we didnt have to suffer the trauma of a sudden devastating illness.

When I went over yesterday there was already another horse in his stable, one of YO's that she had temporarily moved. It was a bit of a shock at first but actually it was far nicer to have him there than looking at the empty stable.

Thank you and hugs to you all x

I don't think it sounds like there was any "what if" here @diplomaticandtactful , he sounds like he was physically and mentally tired and being llowed to leave was a kindness.
I did say he was struggling etc. I have always found with my own, even when it was clear cut, that you still have the what ifs regardless of being sure at the time it was the only kind option left.

I'm sorry. It's so hard.

7.5 years on I still had a horrible jolt when I saw a photo of a pony I didn't know know in Mintos stable.

newrider.com