Lazy little beast.

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Grrrrr. Schooling tonight, Flash was totally ignoring my leg. And being a massive prat about puddles in the school. :confused:

I don’t think I have ever used as much stick on him as I did today. Leg on, one, two, tap with stick. Rinse and repeat. About 30 times. :oops:

I resorted to just shouting at him at one point to “GET ON!” to go through the puddle rather than sideways round it.:mad:

It’s like he’d knocked off for the day. :rolleyes:

This means that he’s going to behave like a complete saint tomorrow in the dressage, yes? Please say yes! ;)

Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
Haha, yes of course it does! Something about a rubbish dress rehearsal, perfect show ... can't remember the phrase ...

Tomorrow's another day and hopefully he will be a bit livelier - maybe he just had a hard day today. Good luck tomorrow :D

Reactions: HaloHoney
I think the threat of a Pony Club Kick was all he needed...

Intro B - 60.2% and a 5th place. Felt a bit laboured and lazy if I’m honest, and he didn’t appreciate the deep/boggy bits at H & E, but was pleased with him compared to yesterday.

Prelim 13 - 59.4% and 3rd Place. Felt much more forward, but that was almost certainly because I decided “right, I’m going to get after you you lazy whatnot!” And didn’t accept “half arsed” as an option. Chuffed to have scored a 7.0 for my collective marks for our paces.

Still, looking forward to our lesson with a visiting dressage instructor tomorrow- we’ve got a shopping list of what to work on.

Nice to spend the morning with both of the men in my life, too- husband came along to watch us. :)

Well done, look fabby!Could the laziness be anything to do with the working livery? Others riding him differently and possibly making him less responsonive to the leg? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Looking good.
All I would say is lose that white whip. Get it in black/ brown. That colour is showing the judge the height of your hands if they come up.
You don't need to worry at this level about it being changed from hand to hand either. Just one less thing to worry about. I will start off in the hand I think I might need to flick with, changing if required but I have just left alone.

:(
Well done, look fabby!Could the laziness be anything to do with the working livery? Others riding him differently and possibly making him less responsonive to the leg? Just a thought.
Yep. Currently looking for a sharer. Need to find someone who is able to ride him correctly so he improves his topline.
He’s used mainly for jumping = nobody’s bothered to get him working correctly. They just want to bang him over the jumps. :(
He needs better muscles, which he ain’t gonna get if he’s just being ridden like a llama all the time.

Anyone want 2-3 days a week with my absolute gent of a push-button horse? To stay at current yard in Reading.
Looking good.
All I would say is lose that white whip. Get it in black/ brown. That colour is showing the judge the height of your hands if they come up.
It’s navy and sky blue- and I’ve been looking for a brown one already! Thanks for the tip! :D

@HaloHoney how often do you ride him and how often is he used in lessons? I think a sharer would be a good idea :)
I ride him 4 times a week. So 2 days someone else could have him and he’d be fine. He loves his work.

He is the easiest boy to do. No vices. Great around kids and dogs. Will happily jump a 3’6 course, has hunted, loves a good XC, bombproof hack, will work on a contact and in an outline if you know how to ask him. Stands there to be clipped and have his teeth done, or to plait him. Total Dobbin. Impeccable manners. Loads like a champ. Travels fine... literally a push button horse. Perfect for someone who wants to just ride, with no drama.

He’s used in lessons about 4 or 5 days a week. Max of 2 x 45 minute sessions in a day.

He’s used in lessons about 4 or 5 days a week. Max of 2 x 45 minute sessions in a day.

That's quite a lot for him to be ridden by someone other than you then. I'm sure someone will snap your hand off to share him, he looks lovely and very safe.

Could you speak to the yard and ask that he be used for flatwork and jumping?

It reads as if he could be ridden three times in a day if you ride and they have used for lessons as well. I don't think he needs more work from another person, but those who already ride need to be working him.

Oh my goodness, he looks lovely, I don't imagine you'll have any problems finding someone to share him. If you get a sharer will he still be on working livery?

Reactions: HaloHoney
It sounds like he's working by other people possibly more than yourself which will make it harder to get him schooled how you want him. If I were you I'd seriously advertise for a sharer and get him off the working livery.

Reactions: carthorse
Could you speak to the yard and ask that he be used for flatwork and jumping?

It reads as if he could be ridden three times in a day if you ride and they have used for lessons as well. I don't think he needs more work from another person, but those who already ride need to be working him.

Maximum of 2 sessions of work a day, to include what he does with me.

newrider.com