Lazy little beast.

Just had a fantastic lesson with a dressage instructor. Videoed it on my GoPro helmet cam. Need to go to work now but will look at the footage later.

Gosh. We’ve got actual homework. :confused: Flash looked a touch alarmed at the instructor getting on him and asking him to work properly- which he didn’t understand, bless him. So we’ve got in-hand stuff to work on before I even get on. :)

She said my position is so much better though compared to what it was last time she saw us. She saw us beginning of August though, and by September he was lame.o_O

Can’t wait to get on him tomorrow. :D

Sounds like you had a really positive lesson with a lot to take away and work on. Nice that she has noticed your improvements, well done :)

Reactions: newforest
Loved the videos - well done on your results! What a lovely trot he has too, so springy.

Hope you get some good footage from your lesson today :)

Reactions: HaloHoney
Here’s our homework session. Some 12A minor language present, so watch your volume if this will offend. :p:oops:

And here’s a run through of Intro B after the battery ran out on my GoPro.:mad::D

Reactions: Tir
What a great few days you have had! I really like him, there is obviously a lot.more to come from you both. :)

Reactions: HaloHoney
Aww thanks. I really REALLY like him. :)

Made a bit of a faux pas on Monday- husband came to watch dressage. I walk up to Flash, give him a massive smooch on the nose, right in front of the husband. He’s like “errr where’s mine?” :confused:

WHOOPS. :p:D

HH you guys look super here :D just a couple of thoughts.... has your RI spoken to you about how to get him more forward without constantly having to nag with your leg? IMHO having to kick kick kick is doing nothing for your position. Also, try to squeeze as you sit and keep your lower leg more still when you rise, I feel another reason you are working so hard with the rise is that you are often kicking at the same time. Do you ever do sitting trot? Has your RI got you to try and barely rise from the saddle? A mere ‘brush’ of seat’ almost just polishing the saddle rather than such an ‘up-down’. X

ETA work without stirrups too!

HH you guys look super here :D just a couple of thoughts.... has your RI spoken to you about how to get him more forward without constantly having to nag with your leg? IMHO having to kick kick kick is doing nothing for your position. Also, try to squeeze as you sit and keep your lower leg more still when you rise, I feel another reason you are working so hard with the rise is that you are often kicking at the same time. Do you ever do sitting trot? Has your RI got you to try and barely rise from the saddle? A mere ‘brush’ of seat’ almost just polishing the saddle rather than such an ‘up-down’. X

ETA work without stirrups too!

Yes to all that. I spent about a week almost exclusively with no stirrups - walk trot and canter. I ride much better without them. Almost all of my lesson on Tuesday was spent getting after him with a stick to get him forward. Even if I try not to kick him, I end up doing it because my stirrups swing...

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s all to work on. I really appreciate everyone’s help. :)

Reactions: CharliesAngel
There's nothing underlying that could to relate to being so lazy is there? Saddle fit, teeth etc?

Just musing, I know one that was much more forward going in a different saddle.

There's nothing underlying that could to relate to being so lazy is there? Saddle fit, teeth etc?

Just musing, I know one that was much more forward going in a different saddle.

Literally just had his teeth done in the last 3 weeks in the vet’s words “if he’s being funny about anything, get after him, because it’s absolutely not his teeth. They have been beautifully maintained, he’s got lovely arcades, just needs a small tidy up, but they are in perfect condition.”

Chiropractor came out to see him in December and adjusted him- she’s a trained equine vet who went and also trained in mctimoney chiropractic. His back is fine.

I wanted a clean bill of health before he went back into heavier work. :)

Reactions: Lissie
Skye was painfully lazy. I did get her more forward but I had to be very hard on her, and very consistent. To me, you are constantly kicking in your test which will have undone any work you put in in the lesson backing this aid up with a stick. You’re letting her ignore that leg aid. You need to go right back to square one and school her both in the arena and on hacks and he gets one ONE chance to respond to your leg and then there is hell to pay. When he reacts he may even shoot off forward and it is very very important that you are ready and allow him to go forward and praise him. Even if you only spend 10 minutes on this and then put him away it will start to sink in but there is no point whatsoever in trying to sharpen him up and then thinking ‘oh sod it’ and reverting and letting him dawdle along while you continually kick. You have to be consistent. It wont take long. It depends how hard you are prepared to be on him and if you are able to keep to being the only one riding him; a few short sharp shocks in my mind is far kinder than continually kicking. If you can get him more forward your position will change immensely :)

newrider.com