Which is the best rug?

• Masta

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Horseware Ireland

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
Just been browsing the net a bit more and came across the Bucas range...does anyone have any experience of them? I have to say the Fals look lovely and warm!

Bucas are brilliant! They're really lightweight, really waterproof (though I've yet to test the lightweight one, the heavyweight was great in the worst weather over winter and it seems to be made of the same stuff). Can put them on a soggy horse cos they've got fleece lining, and if you go for the aluminium lined ones they reckon the lightweight one can be used in temps down to freezing (and I was talking about a clipped tbx). Very versatile and I don't buy Yog anything else now!

They're way better (in my opinion) than Masta or Horseware. My Masta leaks like a sieve so can only be used in the dry. Rambos are good (but overpriced I think), but as for Rhinos, I'd never touch another one with a bargepole. Fantastic at being weatherproof but they're not hawthorn hedge and barbed wire proof. Never seen a rug rip so easily.

Only downside I've found with the Bucas is the neck cover I've got isnt very good. It doesn't attach to the rug (comes with its own surcingle) and it fell off the first time I put it on. Think it was more an adjustment problem than anything else - I'd left it quite long and I think he stood on it and pulled it over his head :eek: Think the design has changed now though as that rug is a couple of years old.

Last edited:
depends on youe horse,

my arab x has a horseware rugs as these fit her best around the chest because she is narrow. would be a waste of money of my TBXID he has a taka combo which he has wintered out in and it is brillant. i havent had to put his spare rug on once. this rug have been used two winters as i brought it second hand.
i have also found fal rugs really good.

not a fan with masta rugs, have had problems with them being waterproof.

I have to say Masta every time too. Have always used them. They never leak, fit well and stay in place. And of course they are a decent price. I do have one gripe though. The drip strip, the band across them near the bottom, they always seem to give out.
I have used the summer tournout masta all winter and have had no leakage problems and they are always worn 24/7 from October to April.

Besides,Horseware, Rambo etc always get stolen down here:mad:

Not a fan of Masta- rubbed HC raw within days, very heavy when wet, and gets damp on the inside!

Rhino much better, no rubs, totally waterproof and is still going strong despite two winters in a barbed wire fenced field with hawthorn 'shelter'!

I fully expect the Rhino to still be going strong in another two years- especially as the new yard has post and rail and no hawthorn!!!:D

I voted other...

I am a huge fan of WeatherBeetas. I think they look gorgeous and last a long time. All the ones at our barn (Schooling Horse Rugs...) are Shedrow/Tuffy (www.greenhawk.com makes them). Which aren't bad, but I find that they rip easily if the horse is a blanket-chewer.

Personally, I do not like the Masta rugs. I love the Horsewear, Rambo and Rhino rugs. If only they sold them here.

masta don't do high-neck rugs

They do, its called a flexi - neck, and you can get attachables to.

Masta
Turnoutmasta with Flexi-Neck

Fitted with an integral Flexi-Neck cover with a waterproof stretch insert for ease of movement. Double ripstop, waterproof and breathable 600 denier polyester fabric. Shoulder action gussets, rear darts, self-righting pattern with no back seam. Filled with 6oz/ 170g thermal insulating filling and lined with a natural cotton. Twin fully adjustable front buckles with velcro fastening strip. Rear leg straps, tail flap, drip strip and surcingle slots. Including new deeper neck design for freer movement. (Search Keywords: 'rugs, masta')

Attachments

• thumb_r592.jpg
    thumb_r592.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 101
Horseware do not tend to fit cobs - too narrow.

I have two cobs in Masta. One has a lightweight turnout and neck cover, and two of the medium weight turnout with neckcover.

The other has the lightweight with neck cover and two of the flexi necks - though I prefer the medium wieght with separate neck cover.

This has got them through the winter fine. they can take a while to dry overnight which is why I have a spare, so they have one on and the other dries, etc.

With the shoulder pleat they are quite comfy.

The best rug I have ever had is the Tredstep high neck (no longer made) which is a wonderful rug - but too warm for the cobs unless clipped out. But I am hanging onto it as we are moving north.

I also have a Masta Regal high neck which i got for a TB and it is a lovely night rug but again too warm for the cobs.

I also have the Masta Fly rugs with neck covers for them.

I have tried Fal - don't fit them at all well, and find that Masta is quite generous on the front so they don't pull.

I absolutely detest the masta lightweight turnout - haivng bought one because it looked nice, I soon found it was actually a bit ineffective....

1) The shoulder gussets don't really do anything useful, except alter the cut around the next so that any rain drips in the front and he has a very wet chest.

2) It's not because the rug is too big, as it is about an inch too short at the back.

3) It is very heavy - the masta lightweight turnout is the same weight as my horseware full neck turnout!

4) The rain leaks into the rug somehow and the whole of the inner lining becomes quite wet in a rainstorm - it then takes days to dry off.

5) The cross surcingles seem to come undone easily, there are lots of straps to do up (horsewares only three easy clips.. masta has 6 inc. buckles and slots to put the surcingles through, and leg straps which can rub.

EDIT: Also.. the masta rubs the big cob at our yard across the shoulders, and ferdie bites me when I put it on. I sound like a right moaner!! I also rather like the weather beeta ones!

I would personally go for a lightweight Rino - they look great, they work brilliantly, never leak, they are really lightweight, I totally beleive they are worth paying the extra for. As a horse I would much prefer to be wearing a light rug than a thin rug that is heavy and strapped all over the place. I have also seen Amigo rugs - it's like a cheaper division of horseware, they came in nice colours, and I had a look at one at badminton.. it was really nice.. only £42.99 as well I've attatched a picture, and www.rideaway.co.uk sell it :)

Rachel xx

Attachments

• amigo.jpg
    amigo.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Horseware do not tend to fit cobs - too narrow.

I totally disagree, I have a dales and a shire x cob that are both big and the Rambos and Rhinos are the best fitting rugs I have found for them. The Mastas fit Min (the dales) but is so heavy when wet and takes that long to dry they are the 'second' medium weights normally. Podge does not do mastas, not for the fuller figure he finds!! But his rhino and new rambo are spot on ;)

Just to say that Masta have designed a new High neck turnout which is a copy of the Rambo Wug!! I dont normally buy Masta, normally a Horseware Fan but Minnie needs a new Spare so I have ordered it for her today.

I did buy the Horseware Amigos last winter but they have not lasted! The outer is not strong enough, they both ripped several times, and thats bad as Minnie has never ripped a rug in 3 years!!

I find shires rugs the best. Masta turnouts rip too easily.
Both my horses that are with us have shires, my cob kills his rugs so his has my tbs hand-me-downs, still in good condition with rips down the front.

My section A who also kills her rugs, but shes worse than my cob has a saxon turnout, its cheap, and hers have rips all down the side of her body.

Out of the two, I'd go with Horseware. I have only had one Masta, but I was very disapointed with the quality - it let water in and ripped far too easily! So I wouldn't have another.

I love Bucas and Fal and my mare's new wardrobe right down to the exercise sheet is entirely from their ranges. They are expensive, but the quality is so go that I think they would last longer than other makes, so in the end they won't cost more. I've just had to sell a full wardrobe from their ranges that has gone through a season - a couple of them went through two, and they literally came up from the wash in perfect condition, not a stain or a stitch required. The only reason they have been replaced is because they don't fit my new mare.

(Nat - I think Patsy's stick is faulty, everyone agrees that she is at least 17hh! I'm going to measure her, I'll let you know).

Have you seen the Horseware Amigos? They're cheaper than the Mastas (rideaway!) and much much better. I have had three Mastas which were not at all waterproof in the past. They also take ages to dry - the record being a whole week after it rained for just 3 hours!!!! The Amigos dry in a couple of hours and are very durable. Moo has had Mastas - three last year and none of them are fit for another season as she has trashed them. The Amigo has stood up to all her terribleness all through a very wet summer!! Her Amigo is easily as good as her Rambo lightweight (which has that three strap business one of which she promptly removed!!!) just as breathable etc. I've just bought a RiffRaff rug from my local tack shop and that's brillian - really well designed and brillian price (£60 for med/heavy weight). Mark Todd rugs are another favourite of mine - really good for chunky monkeys. :D

newrider.com