Maths is so frustrating!!!!

beakysian

Mar 26, 2008
Durham, UK
It's just taken me 30 minutes and a fit of tears to work out how much it would cost me in fuel per week if I bought a particular car. All I needed to do was put the numbers into a spreadsheet for it to tell me the answer.

My statistician hubby will put me right when he comes home but AAAAAAAARGH it's like looking straight at a brick wall, or at a foreign language. I just can't 'see' what the numbers mean :stomp:

I have no excuse because I somehow got an A in GCSE maths many years ago :cry:

*rant over*

I can do the everyday stuff, I can even do simple algebra and trigonometry but if its got more than 2 '00's or you want me to multiply or divide something with 0000s at the end then my brain just cant compute! I dont know my times tables either. My best friend is an accountant and gives me incredulous looks - she doesnt understand why I cant do it! (and neither can i!)

I can do the everyday stuff, I can even do simple algebra and trigonometry but if its got more than 2 '00's or you want me to multiply or divide something with 0000s at the end then my brain just cant compute! I dont know my times tables either. My best friend is an accountant and gives me incredulous looks - she doesnt understand why I cant do it! (and neither can i!)

Blimey that's all very advanced, well done you!! I struggle with everything from working out change to checking my pay slip. My PhD statistician husband thinks I'm pretending just to irritate him - he can't see how anyone could not just 'know' (this is a man who can do compound interest in his head faster than you can put it in a calculator). I'm the thing that he simply can't compute!

I love maths and spreadsheets (which is handy for someone training to be an accountant! :D)

I come in very handy at the end of meals for dividing the costs :D

Mind you, stringing a coherent paragraph together without missing words, grammar mistakes or spelling things wrong is like a foreign language to me!

If it was me I would cheat!

Get online and find out roughly what cars mpg is and size of the tank
Get on a a route finder and work out the milage!

Press auto sum button!!

I know how u feel - I scraped a D in GCSE maths 4 years ago and recently worked out how much money me and OH would save in petrol looking at new house! Took me hours!

Last edited:
I got a B at O level maths but I was a whiz at bookkeeping and as an accountant my inner numbers geek comes right out. I can't do any complicated stuff but if you want to know how many miles per litre, I'm your woman :nerd:

Sorry but I love Maths, got my degree and post graduate in it then did Accountancy (sums..not Maths)..I am very good now at estimating feeds bills and love making spreadsheets!!! I do my tax return as joyfully as most people read a novel..its fun.

I always was strange!!!

newrider.com