Mud fever prevention

actually, a fair coment! if this person is dishing out advise without qualification then insurance is a must surely! if any harm is caused by their advise then they are liable. and as it is writen down in this thread as evidence there is no escaping it!!

this strikes me as every thing that is wrong with this country, the bloody blame culture.
If some one chooses to try some thing they have taken advice on and it goes wrong who is to blame then ?
the one giving the advice or the one taking it.
people like you keep those nasty " where there is blame there is a claim " firms in work.

Oh gosh if we have to be licensed and insured to dish out advice I think this forum and every other in the country about any subject would die out :rolleyes:

Oh gosh if we have to be licensed and insured to dish out advice I think this forum and every other in the country about any subject would die out :rolleyes:

Advice is one thing, but there could be a problem with suggesting a product which a family member sells. Just a thought, but some of us can be sued if we give the wrong advice even informally (it happens in my industry).:eek:

Advice is one thing, but there could be a problem with suggesting a product which a family member sells. Just a thought, but some of us can be sued if we give the wrong advice even informally (it happens in my industry).:eek:

I can understand the need for caution but when we are just talking about individuals here (who are not a business) just posting very positive posts about their experiences then I fail to see a problem. :confused:

The mud fever comes up a lot on NR and there are a number of varying schools of thought about how to deal with it. Anyone with a problem is bound to find a method to suit them no matter what it is :)

I can understand the need for caution but when we are just talking about individuals here (who are not a business) just posting very positive posts about their experiences then I fail to see a problem. :confused:

The mud fever comes up a lot on NR and there are a number of varying schools of thought about how to deal with it. Anyone with a problem is bound to find a method to suit them no matter what it is :)

Totally agree about individuals posting their positive experiences!! I was only sounding a tiny note of caution if you are in any way linked to sales of the product, some people may think there is an element of liability. It is a horrid ,money and blame obessed litigious world we live in, and I wouldn't want anyone to come a cropper (or is that crupper?).

please be very careful about pig oil and sulphur!!!!:eek:

It can cause chemical burns and hair loss. the pig oil holds the sulphur next to the skin and the skin can't breath causing burning same goes with mixing any corosive substance with oil and applying it to the skin!!!!!

Who ever said clip off the hair on their legs needs to be shot, you're taking away all the natural protection that they have by doing that!

Sadly this has been my experience. Malachy's feathers look as though they have been butchered with PO & S. Can't see any other cause as was using it purely to keep his feathers clean through the winter months, he doesn't have mud fever and the field is mud free. (thank goodness !).
Will go back to using pig oil without the sulphur which has been great. While many of you have found it helpful, it seems a significant number of horses have suffered from an adverse reaction, on reflection, I would have been better to patch test - and would have done so, had I known about the others.
Sudocreme remains a favourite of mine for mud fever.

my boy had MF last year, it actually started in the summer. He got four white socks with pink skin and they real sensitive. He got an infection and had anti B's at one point.:eek:

Then I tried Mud Guard feed supplement and it cleared up in two weeks. I had been battling it in varying degrees of severity for six bloody months!! It worked a treat.:D:D

Would just like to say the tone on this thread has been awfull!! I have only been a member for a few months and while I love a good debate as much as the next person, I would never be so rude to an OP that I would allow myself to descend into petty name calling and basically viscious playground behaviour.:mad:(there was only one person being viscious and nasty) My daughters behave better(thank god!) and they are 5 and 12.

I am actually only joining in the thread as most people on it are here for each other and to give/receive excellent advice. I would'nt be joining in if the main instigator of the nastiness had not been removed by the mods. I do understand why a few others bit back and got caught up in it, but i find that if you ignore idiots, they will get bored and go away.;):D

mud fever

thanks for all the advice about pig oil and sulphur. i think i will stick to just using the oil. this works well for my boy.and as the adage goes ,If it isnt broken dont fix it.I just need to ask one question, when pig oil is mixed with sulpher and applied to white feathers does it stain them yellow .If so how do you get them white again in time for show season? in fact if anyone has ideas on feather whitening please let me know. has anyone got any secret recipies for feather whitness?

Hi i'm a late comer to this post and I haven't read all the way through, but it's been suggested to me to try liquid paraffin mixed with a small amount of hibiscrub. Apparently this can be applied to wet legs so you just have to hose the mud off (obviously dry legs would be better but how many of us can get legs dry except overnight).
I haven't tried it and somebody else may have already suggested it (or shot the idea down in flames).
This also apparently gives relief from mites in feathery neds but again I have no experience.

slap some udder cream onto clean legs.... niiiiice and cheap lol:cool:
wash of in evenings & make sure you get everythig off and put thermatex/equichaps stable boots on to dry off legs etc

Gosh, I see why Coyote got annoyed! Why do people come here and immediately attack? Crazy.

I gave a friend a bottle of my PO+S (which I got from Coyote's cousin) for her hands-they were appalling, chapped and with open cuts. She wants more! They did my hands the power of good, too!:)

newrider.com