Muscle atrophy

jodiana

Feb 15, 2012
Hi looking for a little advice, my friend has a 14yr old Irish sports horse, she's had him for 1 year and a half, not long after purchase it came to light his feet had not been look after correctly, she's spent the 1st year putting them right, now they are in much better condition she's turned her attention to some muscle damage on the withers, it appears for however long he's either had the incorrect saddle fit or not ridden correctly and lost his top line, began working on an outline end of summer and did see an improvement however with recent weather change and no indoor arena she's not able to keep up the regular exercise and they have dropped again, anyone have any experience or advice on this? He has had various back treatments & a saddle fitter

For building topline I find lots of uphill work ( in a good brisk walk) works wonders. If shes concerned about riding she could always do this by long reining. Good old elbow grease basically!

Yup I agree, you can't feed true top line it can only be worked on, lots of long, low (but engaged) walking is the way to go :)

newrider.com