My Turn For An Op

J

Julz

Knee replacement.

Went to see my surgeon today, following being signed off work for three months... facts are my knee is arthritic which we knew already, and the xray shows it's now bone on bone - painfull.

Cant do my job, can hardly do my horse, but battle on because I have too. Even walking dogs is becoming a drag.

Waiting list is 14weeks.....

Hi Julz
my mom had a knee replacement a few months ago and it has been a success. She has had 2 hips done and says the recovery period for her has been slightly longer for muscles and nerves to get back to normal. But shes pain free and doing great. Best wishes for your op and keep us posted.

Thanks Chase for that.. I failed to ask any questions when he asked me if i had any..lol.. must have been shock! have been reading up on it, the hospital stay is longer, but am looking forward to being pain free as my hip is now

Sorry to hear you've got to go through an op but you'll feel so much better once it's done. My grandfather's knees were so bad he couldn't walk at all. Within weeks of the op he was up and about and 6 months on he's strolling around, up and down stairs etc completely pain free - amazing.

Bummer of a waiting list though :eek:

I know it is annoying and stressful to have it first hanging over you and then to actually have to go through the op but everyone I have ever known who has had hip or knee replacements has said that the greatest thing has been that awful nagging pain which they have had all the time pre op was completely gone as soon as they came round.
Hope all goes well for you, it will be worth it in the end I am sure. Maybe you can plan some nice things to do whilst you are laid up ie get in some good books, start a diary or something crafty? :)

PS Just to be completely honest this is easy for me to say when I am currently chickening out of a simple arthroscopy :rolleyes: I need to listen to my own advice! Be brave!! :D

I had a total hip replacement (THR) two years ago, so know all about nerves, lol... I didnt realise I was so nervous about the op, that i nearly passed out on the anaesthetic table.. atleast I kinda know what to expect now.... still when i get the date, will probably go to pot again!! (i will be asking for a pre-med this time!)

Funnily enough, I actually like the feeling of being knocked out..lol.. it's the recovery after I dont like

Good luck with your op. I had mine done in january by a fast track method in the north east. Was up and walking on the leg 3 hours after the op and out of hospital in 3 days. Rested and did loads of physio during the 6 weeks post op. After that was given the go ahead to ride again and that really got the muscles and ligaments working very quickly.Best of luck, hopw yours goes as well:):):):D

Gosh, Ellie, that's really quick..... my dr reckons i'll be in for 7 - 10 days... I was in ofr 11 nights with my THR

Thank goodness you are on the list now. 14 weeks waiting should take you to mid-late September so by the time you've had some decent time to recover then you should hopefully be enjoying the springas the new and improved you. Definately worth celebrating :cool:

I was a bit shocked when he mentioned knee op.. I knew i'd need one sooner or later (expected later) but when he said it, my hands went all clammy, and I didnt have a clue what to ask!!

I dont want to count the weeks down...... Im scared...LOL..... Im going to have all the pain relief they can offer me, lol.. keep finding that im asking myself if im really that bad... judging by today, I am.... but still...... ahhhh.....

newrider.com