Names for things

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I just saw this posted elsewhere,

Different names for the same thing (between regions or countries) or the same words with different meanings;

Yard, dry lot, turnout, corral - no grass outdoor horse enclosure
Paddock, pasture, field, park - grass outdoor horse enclosure
Hardstanding - footing, not grass or dirt
Round yard, round pen - for loose lunging
Stable, barn, yard, farm - a place where horses are kept
Barn - a large building where things are kept
Stable, loosebox, a stall - indoor horse enclosure
Livery, agistment, boarding - the agreement to keep your horse at someone else's property
Trailer, float, - to transport horses in by towing
horsebox, Van - to transport horses in self propelled
Blanket, rug, cover - fabric strapped to horse to keep horse warm/dry
Alfalfa, Lucerne - fed as chaff or hay
Harrow, tillage - using a machine to aerate land
Founder, laminitis - debated if this is the same or different, I say different but only in the degree of effect, founder = lami+rotation/sinking
Headstall, bridle - to keep the bit in place
Halter, Headcollar - goes on the horses head to control his movement
Standing hay, foggage - long, old grass saved for feed
Girth - strap with 4 buckles to attach the saddle to the horse
Cinch - strap with 2 buckles to attach the saddle to the horse
Hacking, trail riding, out riding - riding away from the confines of an arena
Slice, wedge, flap, flake, biscuits, section - a measure of hay from a bale
Colt meaning young male up to 6 months vs colt meaning young horse up to 4yrs

Add to the list, I am sure there are loads more :D

Halter broke and green broke- backed and riding away?

Cinch and girth are different. Yes attaches to a saddle but the straps and saddles are different.
Head stall to me is a western bridle and bridle English with browband
Throatlash and throatlatch

Sand school or manège.
Braiding or plaiting
Napping or balk, jib.

Terms list here. Few oldies that were used but fall out of fashion.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_equestrian_terms

Barefoot and unshod.

I think some countries have green broke, broke, well broke. But we might say backed or something similar? Riding quietly maybe.

A cinch makes me think of those straps I struggle to do up. :) Got a pad like that that decided to sell as she doesn't like the straps.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Barefoot and unshod - do you mean these are the same or different? I see them as the same.
To me green broke = just backed, broke = basic schooling in place (probably most leisure horses), well broke/finished = schoolmaster.

A cinch has one buckle at each end, it may or may not have a tongue in it, to be put through a hole in the latigo or need it tying off in a knot

Ah right. Dartmoor and Exmoor are all owned by someone just not handled until rounded up.
What about Mustangs they are owned before rounding up?
Random- would like to ride a Zebra. I think someone had a saddle on one I saw once. Would love to use on my site but never heard back for permissions.
My yard won't let me have a mule. Meanies. :p

Lets have the French for things too if you lovely ladies don't mind, @joosie and @orbvalley :D and the literal translation of that would be super interesting if its different :D

Well, he French like to be quite literal for a lot of things (not just horsey, but nouns in general) for example -
Saddlepad / numnah - sous-selle ("under saddle") or tapis de selle ("saddle carpet")
Exercise sheet - couvre-reins ("kidney cover")
Half-pad / gel pad etc - amortisseur ("shock absorber")

Bridle - bridon, bride or filet. Bridon and filet are normal bridles and bride is specifically a double bridle.
Bit - technically a mors, but more and more people are using filet as well so I think they will end up being interchangeable
School / arena - manège is an indoor school, carrière is an outdoor school.... I know the Brits have appropriated the word for general meaning but sorry guys, you cannot have an outdoor manège :p (and certainly not a ménage which is something completely different!)
Lorry / horsebox is a camion chevaux and a horse trailer is a van (but only a horse trailer - the open/flat kind you put stuff on to transport it has a different name)
Stable - box
Fumier
is the word for manure in general but is also a muckheap.
Maréchal-ferrant is a farrier, but most horsey people have dropped the -ferrant, even though the word maréchal on its own means "marshal"

Oh another one - a paddock is a turnout area as normal but a "paddock de détente" is the warmup arena at a competition. And when you're in the actual arena jumping or whatever, they use "paddock" as a verb for when the horse naps towards the exit.

In NZ they used the words I'm not used to using so it took me a while to make the transition (and is now taking a while to make the transition back!)
Mostly they use a lot of the American terms - e.g rug is a cover, tack is gear, a horsebox or lorry is a horse truck, a trailer is a float, a "yard" is a small turnout pen at a competition. But the two that I kept tripping up over are paddock (I kept saying field for the big ones, but in NZ a field is called a paddock no matter how big it is!), and haylage is called "baleage".

Oh another one - a paddock is a turnout area as normal but a "paddock de détente" is the warmup arena at a competition. And when you're in the actual arena jumping or whatever, they use "paddock" as a verb for when the horse naps towards the exit.

In NZ they used the words I'm not used to using so it took me a while to make the transition (and is now taking a while to make the transition back!)
Mostly they use a lot of the American terms - e.g rug is a cover, tack is gear, a horsebox or lorry is a horse truck, a trailer is a float, a "yard" is a small turnout pen at a competition. But the two that I kept tripping up over are paddock (I kept saying field for the big ones, but in NZ a field is called a paddock no matter how big it is!), and haylage is called "baleage".
I wouldn't associate most of those with the US, a rug in the US is a blanket, horsebox/lorry they don't really have those in the US, some parts call a trailer a float. A yard is never a livery yard in the US (that I have come across) but a small enclosed area. Not sure I have heard haylage or baleage in the US. @horseandgoatmom can you weigh in on this? :D

newrider.com