Naming Amber: NEW POLL

What name should I choose to register Amber under?

• Driftwood Amber

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Killeshandra’s Driftwood Amber

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Driftwood Ambergris

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Driftwood Gift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Killeshandra’s Amber

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
So here is a short list.

Amber is her stable name and colour.
Driftwood links (sort of) to her sire who was called Beach Ball. And to the idea that she has spent a long time drifting before finding her way to shore.
Killeshandra is where she was born.
Ambergris is posh, expensive and found on beaches!

Thanks!

I don't really like any of them to be honest, but if I had to pick one I would go for Driftwood Amber. The others all sound too pretentious for me. I like names that ordinary people will understand the meaning of - most of the suggestions sound like you are trying to be too clever. Or maybe I am just thick! Please don't take offence, I am having an early afternoon glass of wine and am a little tipsy!

I actually really liked Song for Amber or Killeshandra's Song. I know it has nothing to do with the beach ball theme but I liked the names, plus if you, or a future owner, bred from her you could start a whole new dynasty based on song associations.

To be honest I don't get this need for leisure horses to have "show names" when they have a perfectly decent name already. What is wrong with just Amber, it's a lovely name. In fact having just seen that written down I think Just Amber would be a nice one!

I think it's a huge privilege to be able to choose a name. The fact that no-one has ever bothered so she is passported as 5328974 or whatever really saddens me. And I'd like her registered name to reflect her in some way - her breed, place of birth, how she came to me or whatever. Just Amber sounds nice (like Just William) but it doesn't mean anything specific to her.

Reactions: Trewsers
I like Driftwood Amber!
We couldn't decide on a name for Otto so we went for alliteration and called him Only Otto!

I'd want to give her a "proper name" too Kp nut, especially as she's got good breeding. I think it's nice to have a reference to the sire and the dam if you can, so like Driftwood Amber or Killeshandra’s Driftwood Amber not as keen on Ambergris.

Very divided vote..... Maybe I have not yet hit on the 'right' name?

My son is Ed but his full name is Edward --------- ---------------- ! All my children have names that are a mixture of family names, personally meaningful names and names we just like. I know there is no 'need' for Amber to have a name. We won't be breeding from her! But why on earth would I leave her as 5327984? And if I can register her then why not give her a 'proper' name as well as her stable name. If I had bred her, I would take plenty of care over naming her. What's the difference? No-one has ever given her a name but she's getting one now!

Anyway.... I do want to somehow reflect how she came to me. So maybe I need to move away from sire/dam and go for the Hidden Treasure, Lost Gold theme?

Hidden Gem?
Diamond In The Rough?

Very divided vote..... Maybe I have not yet hit on the 'right' name?

My son is Ed but his full name is Edward --------- ---------------- ! All my children have names that are a mixture of family names, personally meaningful names and names we just like. I know there is no 'need' for Amber to have a name. We won't be breeding from her! But why on earth would I leave her as 5327984? And if I can register her then why not give her a 'proper' name as well as her stable name. If I had bred her, I would take plenty of care over naming her. What's the difference? No-one has ever given her a name but she's getting one now!

Anyway.... I do want to somehow reflect how she came to me. So maybe I need to move away from sire/dam and go for the Hidden Treasure, Lost Gold theme?

Hidden Gem?
Diamond In The Rough?

I wouldn't go for anything with Diamond in it, only because it's a well known ID line, unless of course she does have the Diamond line in her parentage.

This is proving more difficult than you thought isn't it?? :D

Diamond in the rough is ok not very original maybe, what if she's not a diamond when you take her out :p Also as @Bodshi said it's a well known ID line.
I like names that relate to the sire and dam but she's your horse so name her whatever you want, think you may always have a split vote as it's down to personnel preference really.

I think you should stop making it hard for yourself and call her whatever of your choices is the first to come to mind. Belle's passport name is 'Belle VB 6290 van de Yzervlakte' really posh but I couldn't pronounce it!

newrider.com