Newbie to the forum

Mandyhorsemad

Jul 31, 2017
Hello .

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mandy. I have been riding on and off all my life but took up lessons 4 ish years ago. I was so confident with my riding but sadly about 20 months ago I fell whilst learning to jump. Nothing broken but I was on a spinal board and was sent off to hospital. Very very scary and my poor bf was watching and filming when it all happened so very traumatic for both of us. I had also secured a share on a horse the week before the fall as well which fell through as could hardly walk a few weeks after the accident and then my confidence was truly knocked! The riding school I fell at pretended I didn't exist and didn't even enquire if I was ok and did not return any of my phone calls (I was trying to may for my lesson etc). I think this is because they made me stand up after the fall even though I was screaming and crying in agony. I was left very numb and heartbroken about riding that I started to sell some or my gear and refused to watch anything horse related on the tv.

However 2 months ago I woke up and thought, I miss riding and want to give it another go. I have now found a new school to try and so far they are lovely. I am not wanting to do any jumping but concentrate on my ground work and build my confidence back up.
I ride a lovely pony called Manny and have a great group lesson.

I have a few questions about my riding which I will ask in another post.

Sorry if this was a bit long winded! Look forward to getting to know you all

Reactions: Jessey
Hello:D
That is awful the riding school were like that with you. Sounds like they did not want to be implicated in any issues relating to your injury:rolleyes:. Glad to hear you have decided to try again. It must have been hard missing riding and getting over your fall. Look forward to hearing more:)

Hi

Welcome - so sorry to hear about your awful experience.

How great that you have started riding again :)

I know where you are coming from as I had a seven year break myself due to a nasty fall at home on my young bucking bronco of a horse - I'll spare the details - suffice to say I have plate & screws on one side of my left leg & 2 pins on the other side of that ankle :(

It's now five years since I began riding again & four since I bought my Princess - we hack out & school but don't jump much really - hubby made me promise that I wouldn't take too many unnecessary risks - even though I didn't come off over a jump (that time anyway).

Wishing you all the very best - there is really is nothing like being back in the saddle is there? ;)

hello and welcome!!! what a shame about your fall, it happens to us all. The important thing to remember is to take things at your pace and your confidence will return in time.

Hello and welcome!

The last time I rode before taking 17 years off I had a fall (injury was to pride alone), but the RS and the uni club I was with were sniffy, unsympathetic and I never went back. So I totally sympathise with the fall denting your confidence. No wonder with one as serious as that!

I got back on a horse in September, my confidence has grown, so much so I now own one!

newrider.com