Nose Bleeds

Serenitey

Jul 20, 2001
London
Visit site
Went to the stables the other day, there was a mare there who was there for some re scholling that seemed to be having a nose bleed.

The stables seemed aware of this but were not that worried. Was just wondering if this should be something that they should be worried about and what may have caused this as we were a bit worried about her.

Thanks

Apparently minor nose bleeds after major exertion are quite common but should only be a slow trickle and should stop quickly. I hear that some higher level eventers get them.

If it's more pronounced or continues for some time it would be worth getting it checked out though.

Minor nose bleeds are common, don't worry. If they get heavier of take longer to stop, then I'd worry.

ok there are nosebleeds and NOSEBLEEDS!

nosebleeds are fairly common in high performance horses after exercise. This condition is called EIPH (Exercise Induced Pulmonary Haemorrhage). The kind of horses affected are very top class eventers and racehorses, after a very hard workout. There is usually little blood at the nostrils which sprays out when they exhale. It stops very quickly and is nothing to worry about.

However, nosebleeds in horses can also be caused by any of the following:

1. Head Trauma
2. Infection (sinuses)
3. Nasal masses
4. Guttural pouch infections (VERY SERIOUS)
5. Lung abscesses or pneumonia
6. Fungal infections

It is quite important that, if the horse repeatedly has nosebleeds, she should be examinaed by a vet as some of the above conditions can be very serious. However this should be taken into context with the amount of blood and how often it happens. Occasional small nosebleeds are ok but regularly they are not, regardless of how much comes out. It is possible for a horse to bleed to death if it has a guttural pouch problem causing haemorrhage, as one of the major arteries to the brain runs through this area, and becomes damaged by infection. This results in a few small haemorrhages followed by one or two massive ones. NOT a pretty sight believe me.

There are some things I'd watch and see, but nosebleeds are something I do think should be investigated properly f you are worried.

some of the race horses get them at work if they work too hard on the gallops due to burst blood vessels, its only a trickle of blood, the horse is normally rested for a week at the most and then is worked again.

if the nosebleeds are common or if there is a lot of blood i would consult a vet.

newrider.com