Oh Ale...

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So he had a very tiny patch of mud fever about a week ago, just pink skin and a little crack on his heel. I've been keeping it clean and applying cream every day but he's still been going out.

Last night I bought him in and went to pick out his hoof on that leg and he told me it was hurting. :(

Had a good look over his leg and there on the front of his leg was a patch of thinning hair and pink skin :( feel awful to of missed this bit as was paying so much attention to the bit I found last week ( which now looks much better)

So had to hibiscrub his leg and a fair bit of hair came out, so now he has a rather large patch of thinning hair and the skin looked very pink. I could find no scabs though except one up high which I hope was not related. Then I found another small patch of baldness round the other side too. I'm not sure why this leg has really suffered this year!

For now I will try to keep him out and just keep hibiscrubbing when I bring in and applying cream and barrier cream before I turn out. Any worse and he will have to stay in though as our fields are quite muddy. Fingers crossed it looks no worse tonight and that it clears up soon. Luckily vet is coming wed anyway so if its no better by then he can help.

Lots of soothing vibes coming from us to Ale (in particular Chloe who knows what it's like to have bald bits and sore lower legs:() hope it improves soon.

It sounds identical to our Jack but he has feather mites - not that he's very feathery. Started with stamping his feet then a bald patch appeared on his pastern and I could pull all the hair around it straight out. Like you I was hibiscrubbing and applying cream until the vet came and gave him an injection.

Poor itchy Ale, good job he's got a doting mum to look after him!

newrider.com