Oh here we go!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Ginger the fucking little shit! Sorry for the swearing!
Went to the pub. Hacked there he was really good. No issues. Did me proud.There was a few of us. Parked up. I let ginger eat some grass while they got drinks. I went over as he was about to step on his reins . With that he span around,squealed then double barrowed! Getting me in the ankle. I was fuming. Bollocked him and whacked him on his backside! How dare he. I am unclear as to whether he meant to do it. Or thought it wash another horse. Either way there is no bloody excuse!!!

Hopefully your ankle isn't too sore! Maybe he did actually step on the reins which made him panic, he might not have even seen you properly?? I always twist my reins and double them up over the necks so they can't stand on them.

Sounds like he just didn't want @lauren123 to stop his fun (eating) to me. Naughty boy. Was he allowed to get away with bad behaviour in his previous home? Or do you think he's just trying it on with you to see how far he can go with his new human? Lucky it wasn't any worse than an ankle really, hope you're ok.

Did you take him by surprise? Or did he actually step on his reins and spook himself?
I aren't sure but I didn't surprise him. Even so, How many horses step on their reins and double barrow??!

Hopefully your ankle isn't too sore! Maybe he did actually step on the reins which made him panic, he might not have even seen you properly?? I always twist my reins and double them up over the necks so they can't stand on them.
Ankle does hurt, sadly. :( He saw me as when I went to him I was on a 90 degree angle to his eyeline, it was then he span and kicked.

Oh dear. Maybe he spooked himself? Hope your ankle is okay.
It is sore :(

Sounds like he just didn't want @lauren123 to stop his fun (eating) to me. Naughty boy. Was he allowed to get away with bad behaviour in his previous home? Or do you think he's just trying it on with you to see how far he can go with his new human? Lucky it wasn't any worse than an ankle really, hope you're ok.
I think he certainly was! Part of me thinks he has just got away with it. Part of it testing me.

Some of your recent posts have been due to various problems and since he arrived he appears one of them.
If I am lunging and mine steps on the line it jolts her head and catches her mouth, no she doesn't kick out but she certainly startles. Some horses will panic.
You don't know each other that well yet, he might have just got away with it or be testing you as say, but you haven't taken into account that had you tied up the reins this might not have happened. I always look at my behaviour first, it's usually something I did or didn't do that's piddles mine off.

kicking is never acceptable , ok so you didn’t tie up the reins but imho that has no baring on what he did.

one of my stallions - a 4 year old (very feisty!) colt - was stabled over this weekend as we were doing some fencing in his field. I am so angry with myself as I checked him at lunchtime and filled his haynet but I obviously didn’t tie it high enough as when I went back at 3.30pm he had a front foot tightly caught up in it and he was paniking. He was dripping with sweat and thrashing about. We ran for a knife and cut it but by this point he lay down and went flat on us.I got a halter on him and managed to get him up, the offending net was still tightly round his lower leg. He allowed me to lift the leg and dig out the bloody netting and thank God , there is no lasting damage. My point is, in all of this he didn’t dream of kicking me, he wouldn’t dare. He HAS kicked me in the past, once ;)

So, dont blame yourself. He is new to you and you dont have a bond yet and he is trying it on, sounds like (from your other posts too) he has a steep learning curve to go on with regards his manners and Im sure you will get there. Don't take what he did personally either but if it were me I would embark on some serious groundwork training if you haven't already. And, be ready for him... I wouldn’t set yourself up in a dangerous situation but but we aware and when you are in the ‘kicking zone’ and come down on him like a ton of bricks if he even thinks about it.

He sounds like he's taking the pee, massively. If one of mine kicked like that, I'd make sure they bloody didn't do it again.

You should of tied his reins up, I'm always super paranoid about reins (once had a horse get caught up) but I really doubt that's why he kicked out if he can spook and react like that I'd be wondering if he was safe on the road where things could spook him. I think he's being an arse!

I wouldn't be surprised if he could be like this with his previous owners but he respected them. Why is he on loan? Tt could all be totally out of character because he's unsettled and looking for a leader. How old is her? He sounds like her needs to learn some manners and sharpish either way.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
He sounds like he's taking the pee, massively. If one of mine kicked like that, I'd make sure they bloody didn't do it again.

You should of tied his reins up, I'm always super paranoid about reins (once had a horse get caught up) but I really doubt that's why he kicked out if he can spook and react like that I'd be wondering if he was safe on the road where things could spook him. I think he's being an arse!

I wouldn't be surprised if he could be like this with his previous owners but he respected them. Why is he on loan? Tt could all be totally out of character because he's unsettled and looking for a leader. How old is her? He sounds like her needs to learn some manners and sharpish either way.
Tbh on the roads he has been fine in the whole which makes me think it was less that I spooked him. He is on loan due to lack of time. It could be yes. He is 9.

newrider.com