Oh horror...Update

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
As you know, I keep Sid opposite my house, on land owned by a neighbour. I've been there 13 years, or is it 14?

She's just asked to have a meeting with all of the liveries. I don't know what it's about, but I don't think it can be good or she wouldn't be keeping it quiet.

We can't all get together until Easter Monday. This is awful!

Is the land preserved for agricultural use Jane or can it be sold for building?
It's green belt, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and an SSSI so building is unlikely. But people all around us have plenty of money and either like to acquire land or speculate. Fields for horsiculture are like hen's teeth,.

Sounds ominous even if building is unlikely. Fingers crossed it isn't. We used to rent the field opposite us in Sussex, prime land, never for sale would have loved to buy it. We finally managed to get a proper tenancy agreement on it rather than constantly being told to leave on a day's notice. Is it worth putting feelers about other options so that you are ahead of the game if the worst happened? Let's hope it is just an easter cake and easter eggs...

Last edited:
My friend and next door livery Uta just asked what it was about, were they selling? The answer was "We don't want to but we have a proposition". Sounds like a massive rent hike to me....

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Sounds like they need to sell and the proposition is your all getting first refusal to buy your paddocks.

They would make more selling it as individual plots.

A 40 acre field just the other side of the village was auctioned recently for ÂŁ1.8million - nearly ÂŁ50k per acre. It has a couple of dilapidated agricultural buildings on it, though, and I believe is under negotiation at an even higher price for a very rich person to build a mansion on.

Small fields along our lane have sold recently for upwards of ÂŁ20,000 per acre. I don't think we liveries could afford to buy our bits, and certainly not in competition with anyone else. There are many many people round here with bottomless pockets.

For what it's worth I feel for my YO. She was recently sued by her own sister over the terms of her mother's will, and to everyone's shock she lost, and it has cost her upwards of ÂŁ400k. She and her husband are still trying to find their feet financially. Whatever the ins and outs, it's not a situation I would want to find myself in, and I can see that they might want to get more out of their land than they are getting.

My friend and next door livery Uta just asked what it was about, were they selling? The answer was "We don't want to but we have a proposition". Sounds like a massive rent hike to me....
I guess from their point of view a good offer on the land and no work involved is a difficult one. Assume the asking price would be way beyond even a collaborative bid from the liveries?

A 40 acre field just the other side of the village was auctioned recently for ÂŁ1.8million - nearly ÂŁ50k per acre. It has a couple of dilapidated agricultural buildings on it, though, and I believe is under negotiation at an even higher price for a very rich person to build a mansion on.

Small fields along our lane have sold recently for upwards of ÂŁ20,000 per acre. I don't think we liveries could afford to buy our bits, and certainly not in competition with anyone else. There are many many people round here with bottomless pockets.

For what it's worth I feel for my YO. She was recently sued by her own sister over the terms of her mother's will, and to everyone's shock she lost, and it has cost her upwards of ÂŁ400k. She and her husband are still trying to find their feet financially. Whatever the ins and outs, it's not a situation I would want to find myself in, and I can see that they might want to get more out of their land than they are getting.
There is a field up the road from us on for ÂŁ100K for 8 acres but with strings attached
Development of the property is a possibility but this is subject to buyers making their own enquiries with Scottish Borders Council planning department:-
CLAWBACK: the land will be subject to a clawback agreement in the event that the land is developed for any purpose other than use as agricultural land.

Clawbacks on land with development clauses seem to be the automatic standard now.
I doubt they will sell this one anyway. The vendors bought the plot to build a house it was based on having a racehorse training facility. They got the house, the business bit never happend and now they are trying to flog half the plot with the come on that you will get another house on it.

Everything crossed it's better news than anticipated, the wait would kill me too

A proposition would make me think of a change that could benefit both of you.
A suggestion of some sort.

newrider.com