Opening mouth

Caitlin

Dec 31, 2002
NSW, Australia
hybridangel.org
Quick question: if you're taking up contact and the horse keeps his mouth open, is this a way of resisting the contact and reducing the pressure of the bit? I wasn't sure. And also, this may or may not be related, if they're constantly 'chomping' or playing with the bit, is this a bad thing? I hope that makes sense!

An open mouth is a sign of resistance and is an evasion of the bit. With an open mouth the horse cannot feel as much on the lips and bars of the mouth.

As for "chomping" the bit. If it is done with an open mouth and a tense jaw then it is a bad thing and means the horse does not accept or is uncomfortable with the contact. If it is done with a closed mouth and relaxed jaw, where the horse is lightly and subtly mouthing the bit then it is a good thing, and a sign of acceptance and relaxation.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does thanks very much for that! What kind of things should you be doing to try and overcome this? I put a hanoverian noseband on my bridle when I noticed him doing this but he's almost stretching the leather sometimes! He doesn't do it all the time, but I started wondering about it when my contact was a lot heavier.

Thanks for any info you can give me :) I'll ask my riding instructor about it in my next lesson, too, but any addition would be a help!

Glad I could be of some help! Hopefully your instructor can give you some pointers but here are some ideas for you in the meant time. Here are my suggestions of a few things to check for. Firstly, is your horse comfortable with the bit?
- When was the last dentist visit? (sharp teeth + bit = pain)
- Does your bit fit the horse correctly?
- Does the type of bit you are using suit your horse?
- Is the bridle adjusted to a comfortable length?

If all of those things are okay, then it could come down to either the way you are using your contact, or your horse's level of education. Some things to consider here might be:
- Is your contact consistant (are your hands still)?
- Does your horse understand what you are asking for (is the horse educated)?
- Are you riding your horse forward enough (using enough leg)?
- Is your horse thoroughly warmed up before you ask for the contact (do you ride on a long rein first)?
- Are you asking for the contact in the correct way?

Have a think about those, if you can answer yes to them then I shall have to give you some more ideas. Hope that helps.

Shiny.

newrider.com