Opinions on poly pads?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess used to get a slightly sore back when her saddle would shift around, after a myriad of saddle fitters, osteo, physio etc. etc. there's nothing wrong and more a matter of padding her saddle appropriately if she gains/drops weight. Since I started using spacer fabric (what husk is made from) she has been perfect, but she can't have it directly on her back, so whilst she's currently slim I've got a cotton pad at the bottom, spacer fabric in the middle and another cotton pad on top, which is fine but a bit of a faf so I was debating a poly pad or something like that?

I do already have sheepskin pads, both a half pad and a full pad, but they seem too thick/bulky, I remember vaguely poly pads although fluffy seemed to settle down quite well and not add to much bulk.

I like them however they have a bad tendency to allow for serious saddle slippage :( I had to bake out once when a saddle went sideways despite it fitting and a tight girth. I wasn’t hurt as I was chosen as moves as soon as I felt the saddle go.

I prefer a memory foam pad, prolite or a gel shock absorber. These don’t seem to move and certainly didn’t cause anything I’ve every ridden in them any pain or discomfort.

I like them however they have a bad tendency to allow for serious saddle slippage :( I had to bake out once when a saddle went sideways despite it fitting and a tight girth. I wasn’t hurt as I was chosen as moves as soon as I felt the saddle go.

I prefer a memory foam pad, prolite or a gel shock absorber. These don’t seem to move and certainly didn’t cause anything I’ve every ridden in them any pain or discomfort.
Hmm maybe I should borrow one to test before spending 50 quid! I had a gel pad and a prolite half pad, unfortunately her ladyships sensitive skin ended up with welts where the edges were (through a cotton pad) so I sold both :(

I use one for 1 of the horses at work, it really suits him and his saddle but ive used on 2 of the others and had the same issue as MrC so they definitely aren't for every horse. There are often plenty on ebay going 2nd hand, and to be honest I've had the non poly pad makes and they are much of a muchness to be honest.

Reactions: Jessey
We have the poly pad treeless one and it was the perfect solution for us. Really well stitched and washes well. It’s not overly full though so I’m not sure how much padding it would give under a treed saddle - that said it might have less in because it is treeless model - or they might have changed since my childhood memories of them being really full!

i like the sheepskin - the fibres compress so maybe not as thick as you worry they are. Brook seems to love it on her back.

I use a polypad for Harvey which works well for me. I've got some markers stitched on so I can see where the middle is as I kept putting it on wonky, and I've got some saddle strap loop things to make sure it doesn't move. Its still nice and paddy after a year of use and regular trips to the washing machine....

I've borrowed a polypad off our osteo to try out :) I went to buy one on Saturday, 2 tack shops and brought a bunch of other stuff but neither had dressage size polypads :(

I detest them. If you have a well fitted saddle why would you want to bulk them out with a small duvet? I can see they might have some use if a saddle isn't the best fit but really and truly can you guarantee that the duvet is filling in the important bits that dip and the important bits that don't dip aren't conversely over wadded with duvet? I have occasionally bought one that foolishly took my eye due to colour/pattern - but very soon discarded them when I found they interfered with the perfectly good fit of my saddle.

I have one on Billy. I had his saddle fitted but it rocks due to his shape. Hoping with his young age and gaining some muscle he will fill out. I asked about changing the bar to a narrower one to make more stable but saddler showed me next size down was too narrow and would pinch. So I stayed with a wider bar. I have a gel pad and a polypad to stop slippage and pad out. It seems to hold stable.
I was advised that a saddle should fit the horse closely and therefore you could use a thin sheet between horse and saddle. A numnah is really only ment to protect your saddle from the body grease.
I bought another one for chunky recently as I feel he needs some cushioning for his back issues. Although the swelling is behind the saddle area and the saddler doesn't think saddle it is causing problems. I do wonder if my heavy seat doesn't help him. Whilst I'm not heavy I know I don't have a light seat. So I feel cushioning is better for his protection.

I have a Lemieux sheepskin half pad which has room for shims in it- Flash is quite hollow behind his shoulder and his girth line is quite flat so my saddle was slipping back. It comes with two sets- one memory foam set and one 10mm set of firm ones- similar to those in a pro lite.

Wouldn't use one on a saddle that was fitted without. I imagine it's like putting big fluffy socks on and shoes being tighter. Used one when I didn't have saddle that fitted to pad it out as was too wide. I think they're useful but would need to check saddle still fitted when using them. Have you looked at the limpet pads? I've heard they're good for cushioning and stop any movement.

I don't have any problem with the saddle slipping (sideways) or any pressure points, it just moves a little with her big back swinging walk and this was resolved by the saddler padding it appropriate to her weight as there isn't enough to go up or down a gullet width and the padding seems to reduce the rubbing (like wearing 2 thin pairs of socks to prevent blisters when you are hiking), the shape of the saddle is still correct.

As I said, sheepskin pads, prolite etc don't work for us and I won't use a limpet pad on her because they are renowned for trapping heat and with a horse that doesn't temp regulate well due to cushings I have to be very careful, the spacer fabric has been great for keeping her back cooler. Hopefully the weather will hold out for us to test out the borrowed polypad today (and the possible hoof abscess hopefully isn't an abscess :rolleyes:)

@Jessey if it's working for you and your horse then use it, only you can see the saddle on and know the horse.

Interesting to hear that about the limpet pads, I've only ever heard good things.

@Jessey Interesting to hear that about the limpet pads, I've only ever heard good things.
I researched them when originally trying to solve this issue, it was EML who warned me they tend to over heat the back and after that I seemed to come across similar comments everywhere I looked. They are meant to be super grippy though.

Reactions: Lissie
I like a Lemieux half pad. I have two, one to wash and one to wear, and my saddle is fitted to allow for the extra thickness. Ziggy doesn't get so hot under the sheepskin.

newrider.com