Pedal Bone Rotated and sunken ( H e l p )

Any One heard or tried Imprint Shoes

Has anyone used Imprint shoes - the Vet recommended them as ideal for Rotated Pedal Bones and Laminitus

Has anyone used them ?

Not sure but think they are expensive ( Might be able to claim for them on insurance ). Not sure how long they last or if you can ride with them on......

Those X rays take me back, high heels , long toe, ballet style! we didn't have rotation but def the rest. Remedial trimming at short intervals should do the trick, we had problems with the ligaments and soft issue etc but by having the 3 weeklysympathetic remedial trim and extending the time between trims slowley we got there in the end. I am sure you will get there its just time..... do let us know how you get on.
Shoes of any description where never even mentioned in our case.

Yes she was standing on a plank of wood when the xrays were taken.

The vet said there was a lot of heel and we are looking at going down the Imprint shoe route...instead of metal shoes and pads

That's interesting, although it figures, and chronic lami feet do grow heel very fast. I'm surprised neither of your trimmers went to work on the heels though, or said anything about them, a lot of the shots on the album appear to be of the hinds but what are obviously the fronts look tall and deep to me.

I still don't personally see what the emergency is though based on what I can see here, if the horse hasn't had a crisis of any kind beyond being footy on stones. Regular trimming to bring the heels down gradually and tackle the toe flare along with the right diet to grow down more strongly reattached wall would do it for me. I do think you would find plenty of (shod) feet exactly like this on a lot of livery yards.

Imprints are made from plastic and glued / moulded on. They provide frog support and probably a good half way house between shoeing and not shoeing as far as I can tell.

I think the vet has scared you - when they founder initially, they are substantially more uncomfortable than this. I really think that she has rotated when she last had lami and has not had corrective trimming since so the problem has maintained. My girl I suspect is the same - her near fore is a really odd shape (I think!) but she hasn't had lami with me *touch wood*. I think the vet has taken xrays to cover themselves, found a suitable underlying problem as an answer and essentially scare mongered you.

If she is perfectly comfortable other than the stones I would just be getting a different trimmer to do her feet and forget about shoes and imprints. There is no need for the extra expense when she doesnt appear to be that uncomfortable.

I am having problems with the Hi Fi Lite I was giving her a handful in the morning and a handful in the evening with 16 pills each time with the Mag Ox , I do not think she likes it, as she is not eating it, maybe its the pills ?

I will try it tomorrow with the speedy beet and see if that goes down better.

I am confused with the quantity I need to feed

Normally For Speedy Beet I give her about 2 handfulls mixed with a lot of water, the mag ox mixed in ( i will add the pills and a bit of cod liver oil ( this was recommended by the YM but just a very small amount) .

Not sure if I should do the same thing with the evening feed with the same quantities.

Do I need to get Naf Slimline as a suppliment to mix with the Speedy Beet.

I do not know if I am imagining it but I thought that she was a bit lame this morning so tomorrow I am keeping her in to be on the safe side, the Remedial farrier is not able to come until the end of next week and I am worried about making her worse.
So - on Box rest
I have increased the soaked hay that she is having and I am putting it in a haylage net then again in another haynet, now if she is staying in I am giving her about 2.5 slices in one feed this will be from about 5.00 - 9.00am with her evening feed - then in the morning I will give her the morning feed and another soaked haynet about 1.00 slice.

I am not sure if this is too much or not enough

Thanks

That's interesting, although it figures, and chronic lami feet do grow heel very fast. I'm surprised neither of your trimmers went to work on the heels though, or said anything about them, a lot of the shots on the album appear to be of the hinds but what are obviously the fronts look tall and deep to me.

My Farrier did say that her heels need to be taken down a lot , but he never mentioned anything about Pedal Bone rotatation he did say that she was a cronic laminetic and she has not got it now but she did have it in the past.
He also never said that she will be very sore after each of the trims. She has not been trimmed for 8 weeks now because of this. I am waiting for the farrier at the end of next week so I can discuss the treatment with him

I still don't personally see what the emergency is though based on what I can see here, if the horse hasn't had a crisis of any kind beyond being footy on stones. Regular trimming to bring the heels down gradually and tackle the toe flare along with the right diet to grow down more strongly reattached wall would do it for me. I do think you would find plenty of (shod) feet exactly like this on a lot of livery yards.
This is my first horse and I might have missed some of the signs, I hope not but you never know . The vet cannot tell how long that she has had it for and it is only since she has been having her feet trimmed that this has all started, and really not sure where to go, I think she really does need to have regular trims and I will have a word with the farrier about doing things very gradually either with the Imprint shoes or boots which ever he recommends, not sure if I could ride her during the treatment but really dont mind waiting until she is well. I was worried as I noticed a bit of lameness this morning but might be getting paranoid now !.

I would stick with the speedybeet - less sugar than hifi although not that much in it to be fair. HiFi has "no taste" to it, my two wont touch it either.

I really would be questioning the necessity to remidally shoe/boots etc - I really think a decent trimmer will correct it without the need for this - the shoes are used at the early stage to relieve serious discomfort and to help prevent it worsening - however your feet are stable, this is probably damage done a long time ago.

My monkey is the same - she has (fairly certain) got rotation to some degree, though her foot looks very different as she is being trimmed to correct it. She is rock crunchingly sound, over gravel etc with no hesitation - yet has a funny shaped foot.

Think you need a deep breath, a nice glass of something/chocolate etc :D and a hot bath - think you have been frightened by too much information! :(

Is the farrier coming out the one who was originally trimming her? If yes, would personally look at switching would of hoped he haad corrected those feet earlier....

As for the slimline, you dont need to add it at all - but my twos feet are really nice now they have been on it, and has helped with the weight loss. I just like using it as it is a) cheaper than feeding a huge bucket of feed b) feeding them less which is good for weight c) peace of mind they have a mix of vits and mins when on a restricted diet.

When my pony was on box rest with lami, I gave enough soaked hay am and pm so that he never ran out, it is important to keep the gut working.

I fed a vit and mineral supplement in a token feed, speedi beet will be fine.

I have 2 that are laminitic, my farrier advises how long between trims, sometimes that is every 4 weeks.

I would stick with a farrier/trimmer that can take you on as a regular customer.

Try not to worry.

Update on Connie

Hi All

Just read the article in H & R on Barefoot especially on Insulin Resistance horses and Barefoot saying they are the hardest ones to transition.....

Checked out the website barefoottrimmers.co.uk and talk about confuse you, no matter what you read and what you decide to do there is always another website saying you are wrong !

Anyway

At the moment her rorated and sunken pedal bone continuation....

She had her feet well trimmed and she is still standing ( yah ). She is on box rest for a couple of weeks, no shoes, she is a bit sore but does not seem too bad.

She is having 1.5 slices of hay at around 9am more at 4.00pm and again at 9.00pm the hay has been soaked for 24 hours and then hung for 6 hours to drain properly. Very difficult to do.

She is on Simple Systems Lucie Stalks three big handfuls ( sometimes dampened down ) with a small bit of spearment and Cider vinegar three times a day, which she really loves and seems to take her some time to chew.

The farrier is coming again tomorrow to the yard so I will ask him to check her - Not sure if she will need imprint shoes yet but will ask him what he thinks.

Have already put on other thread about hay but so you don't have to bob back again here goes :- instead of putting hay into one net divide between two or three nets,makes it much easier to handle not as heavy & you don't get as wet.
Re Simple Systems Lucie Stalks, my Ben goes footy on them so be very careful indeed.Apparently some horses get adverse effects with too much Alfalfa.

newrider.com