Pin worm experiences?

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
So tell me about your experiences please?

A pony on our yard has been diagnosed with it and now the whole yard is being treated. Some people are saying on good flush with an appropriate wormer kills it off, and some are saying it lingers.

So please experienced please and what you did to get rid. A few horses have been scratchy this year but being honest with the wet summer we have had the flies, bots and midges have been in the mega hordes.

One mare in our little herd is very prone to pinworm and gets it every year. She is wormed very regularly to keep it at bay.

My Mattie caught it a couple of years ago and was itchy, and the worms showed up in his poo *yeuk*. But a single treatment with a strong wormer dealt with it and they have not recurred.

Bo and jess got infested at out last yard, they were a nightmare to shift. What makes them itch is they stick their heads out to lay eggs and secrete an itchy stuff at the same time, so every time they itch they spread the eggs on what they itch on so one dose of wormer is rarely enough to kill the cycle as you kill the ones inside but the horse gets reinfected as soon as it touches something it itched on previously :(
I found equest pramox didnt shift them for long, on my vets advise, twice daily bum cleaning and application of vasaline (helps reduce the itching) plus 3 double doses of Pyrantel 4 weeks apart finally killed the nasty suckers.
The theory on putting the wormer up the bum is that pin worms only live in the very last bit of gut and by the time the drug gets there its potency is diminished, my vet wasn't an advocate of that method.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
My old share horse had them, similar experience to Jessey with him, took ages to get rid of the horrible little things.

newrider.com