Poooooo

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Those of u that have big field do u poo pick? I have 5.5 acres just my cob is on it, prev to that there was two other horses on it and it was never poo picked although i did clear the main areas regular, by main areas i mean corners and near the water trough there are some areas in the middle i get to. Currently fenced prj in a smaller area and cleared that, every day il poo pick his area and another barrow from outside the area to hopefully have poo free fields by spring... My only worry is to keep on top of it, it will take me a long time each time i go up! At least 30/40 mins walking up and down the field to poo pick. Which means in this case i wont always have the time to even just lunge prj because by the time ive done the poop il have to rush off :( and i need to keep him in work all year, no lazy days! (Well one a week maybe) i am not allowed to keep the temp fencing up all year round, i did ask to as i wanted to do a track system but beecause we are part of a local view point/beauty spot our field owner said it has to come down by april time, hes only allowing it now to save the ground from being trashed. So do u poo pick all the time? Any tips for speedy poo picking :( or toilet training him to use one area ;) (i know, dream on lol)

When we rented 5 acres, I poo picked every day...but then I did have 4 back then so there was a LOT of poo daily!!

Reactions: Prjsmk
You're going to have alot of grass with that much field for one horse!
If your horse is having one day off per week maybe make that day your poo picking day? Although might take a while!

Itl take foreverrrrr lol! Yep, alot of grass! There always is endless grass, doesnt haveanything else when the grass comes though. Too much grass

With one horse I used to get one full wheelbarrow per day. As my fields were long and narrow and on a steep slope I used to walk up one half to the top of the field then back down the other half. If I did it daily it wasnt such a chore. If it was raining occasionally I would leave it that day, but i hated leaving it two days as it took twice as long. I always reckoned it took 20 minutes per barrow load.
Depending on the field layout. Could you have an imaginary line half across the field. And then say poo pick one half one day then the other half the next.
I know you say you have temporary fencing currently up which has to come down. However what is that temporary fence. Is it white tape. Could you use poly wire with green poly posts which would be less offensive to the eye. My horses are trained to the polywire. By sub dividing the field it does make it easier to poo pick. You can then just rotate the paddocks.

I always poo pick during the spring, summer and autumn but once the fields get too muddy around the gates I don't bother as I can't push the wheel barrow back out when its full. I will just roll and harrow when it dries up a bit and then start poo picking again :D I quite like poo picking when the weather is nice, i find it therapeutic ;)

no, not usually, especially not with 16 ponies on the place... i rotate grazing and harrow, then rest it.

however in the summer months when brook & pip are in a small paddock i do keep that poo picked

I am trying to get my field ower to agree to the tape, or be allowed to switch to green tape if its still a no i can have an imaginary line (i have one at what i call half way) we used to rotate as there was always two spare fields but now there is only one spare field and i dont want to use it as it gets extremly boggy and prj suffers with his feet in wet conditions as it is, big holes in them and feathers rotting off. Plus if he leaves his field the grass just goes beyond too much and we then have to have it cut down. So this year i want to stay in my own field, gutted i cant do a track system :( i can probably keep my fence up past the time allowed hes said because i want to spot spray areas, so il do the area in one half leave it for a few weeks past the stated time and then put him in then do the areas in the other half. Looks like i am poo picking everyday then, field owner says the field is about 5.5! My step dad thinks its more like 7! Im going to be so fit this year haha

Honestly no I wouldn't. I'd do the main bits and try to get most but I wouldn't have time trek round 5 acres getting every last poo out. Ideally I'd split the paddock poo pick and rotate but doesn't sound like this will be possible for you.

This my current layout, the s is the school, purple line is where i could probably place a sneaky temp fence without field owner seeing it, he never actually comes in the field just looks from the gate which is where the green squiggle is near there, thats also my tie up area and i am allowed a fence where that green line is to keep the horse away from the feed area. The orange is where his current temp fence is and the red is my boundry fence, tried to attach another pic of the field that i took today but it wont let me add it says files too large, to give idea of how huge the field. Took me 30 mins to do the area he was fenced in today :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 7
Might do it in sections, suppose as time goes on itl get quicker and quicker... Probably be quicker when the ground dries too, its a battle at the moment to get the barrow moving

Mentally split it into 7 sections, if you clear each section daily, though the week you will have cleared the whole field. This won't be beneficial for controlling worms but it will keep the field in better condition over all.

Mentally split it into 7 sections, if you clear each section daily, though the week you will have cleared the whole field. This won't be beneficial for controlling worms but it will keep the field in better condition over all.
I think i can mentally split it in to 3 and do a section each day , hoping the wormys will be all gone by the time i have less time, at the moment because i am not hacking out i can spend the time at the field to do the poo picking as only doing 20/30 mins in the school at the moment (inhand or lunge) but when the better weather comes we will be backing and the time flies by unfortunatly :( horses are such hardwork... Whose idea was it to get a horse ;) lol

Just an update on this, so ive managed to get the corner his fenced in down to ten mins! Worked out a way to go that means i dont miss any poops and end up at the poo pile. Yesterday i had poo pick from weds to yesterday as didnt do it in the snow, took 25 mins, alot quicker than i thought! Pleased with this! So doing 3 imaginary sections and clearling one each day may not take so longafter all! Means more riding time woohoo

Yep, was less than ten minutes picking yesterday as there wasnt alot there and when hes got the whole field and not one corner he spends most of his time near the middle fence anyway, hence why hes fenced in the corner of the side he never goes to at the moment, so hopefully when i do my three imaginary sections the majority of poos will be in one area

newrider.com