Prices for trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.
The farriers act stuff just covers the act of putting on shoes more or less :)

There are good and bad eggs in all baskets, my trimmer attends conferences often and we sometimes talk about them as silver beats my trimmer black and blue :eek: trimmer is well qualified and actually not part of a "school" as such because she doesn't always agree with the way they are going - she's very much an independent thinker and not into brainwashing. Not once has she told me shoes are bad or similar notions - and says there are times and places for lots of different lifestyle choices.

I quickly realised that barefoot trimming was unregulated (just like dentistry, fitters and other professions) and if I were to use a trimmer it would be one regestered 1 of the 2 main organisations.

My farrier and I speak about barefoot and care a lot. I said to him that I think the biggest thing missing with farrier care is the holistic approach to feeding, weight and management. He'll talk about that stuff if I ask, but doesn't get involved as a rule and has never been trained in it.

On the flip side, when a previous livery had her trimmer in, he'd do full reports and records, try to get her to understand that the condition she liked to see on her horses was fat and not muscle and that she needed to adress feed and to slim them down.

She used to have my farrier, until he dropped her from his client list, and he'd mentioned things to her as hints but would never be as forceful as the trimmer was. He iterally said it was myway or the highway as his clients crap feet reflected his work. Her horses has better feet as a result as she needed a more forceful approach.

Thank god she found him. He's what she and her horses need.

I have used 3 farriers, took 2 of my ponies barefoot with them and hope to take Hattie down the same route, all have been supportive, and very informative. They have all been or are horse owners.

The farriers act says that you need to be a registered farrier to trim a foot that is to receive a shoe, if no shoe is going on the local butcher is as well placed to trim a horses foot as anyone else.

Sorry to hear your horse is lame Yann!

:giggle:

It really is quite scary that anyone can do just about anything to horses for money and there is no comeback. I think I shall get some personal injury insurance and become a trimmer, a dentist, a massage therapist and a backman (well, woman). I can fit your saddles too :wink:

Role up, role up, introductory rates! Discount rates for NR customers....

:giggle:

My dentist is not, as far as I am aware, registered with the one body of EDTs in this country. She trained in New Zealand and has been practising about eight years. She is good with my horses, gives me lots of feedback on their mouths and doesn't charge me if no work is needed. My horses have never looked so well since she has been doing their teeth and they go well, I'm over the moon with her. I've used most of the dentists in my area over time and she is the best as far as I'm concerned. She's insured and qualified, and that's enough for me :smile:

It's up to horse owners to be responsible and make sure the practitioners they use are competent and carry suitable insurance. Whilst anyone can set themselves up as something, it doesn't mean a jot unless someone engages them and pays them for that service.

Regulation on its own doesn't guarantee anything either, as some of the appalling shod feet evident locally prove with knobs on.

It's up to horse owners to be responsible and make sure the practitioners they use are competent and carry suitable insurance. Whilst anyone can set themselves up as something, it doesn't mean a jot unless someone engages them and pays them for that service.

Regulation on its own doesn't guarantee anything either, as some of the appalling shod feet evident locally prove with knobs on.

I think the problem is alot of horse owners new N old may not know what they are looking out for in terms of competent work or indeed advice by either a farrier or trimmer. They will just see them as the professional who they rely on and pay the money and listen to any speel given. This is where problems start IMHO ( which isn't their fault as such) crap farriers and crap trimmers are out there and do have customer bases who accept their work.

There are also horse owners who put price and speed above quality and who expect a horse to be trimmed within 5 minutes. When farriers are being trained by going out to places like that, they can easily become programmed to thinking that's what everyone wants.

Fault on both sides.

I agree with Bodger1960. A friend paid (was conned out of,imo) £1200 for a brand new saddle as fitter said she'd never get a second hand to fit him as he is so unusual (15hh cob, not exactly unusual). So along comes the m2m saddle...well it was going to fit me before it fitted that poor horse. Owner wouldn't listen and rode the horse in it until it got so sore it went lame and the vet was horrified at the saddle.

....and don't forget there's nothing to stop owners using their own horses as a Frankinstein experiment and play god and do their own trimming once they have read a book...

I agree with Bodger1960. A friend paid (was conned out of,imo) £1200 for a brand new saddle as fitter said she'd never get a second hand to fit him as he is so unusual (15hh cob, not exactly unusual). So along comes the m2m saddle...well it was going to fit me before it fitted that poor horse. Owner wouldn't listen and rode the horse in it until it got so sore it went lame and the vet was horrified at the saddle.

It's like using a vet to, you have your trust in them that they are making the right decisions, and if u don't know better your reliant on them.

There's an ex Gp who lives round here nick named DR DEATH as he got struck of for an alarming number of mishaps, misdiagnosed patients And deaths !!!

It's like using a vet to, you have your trust in them that they are making the right decisions, and if u don't know better your reliant on them.

This is precisely why I try to keep my knowledge on all things equine a little above the average horse owner. I know enough about teeth, backs, saddles, feet etc to hopefully weed out the good from the bad, and my knowledge on the physiology of thehorse, endocrine and lymphatic systems etc means I usually have an understanding (albeit sometimes vague) of what the vet has found.

and if I were to use a trimmer it would be one regestered 1 of the 2 main organisations.

The trimmer I had the biggest issue with helped set up the Equine Podiatry Association (UK)... so I wouldn't bank on it.

A bad farrier can get struck off... no such threat for a bad trimmer.

The trimmer I had the biggest issue with helped set up the Equine Podiatry Association (UK)... so I wouldn't bank on it.

A bad farrier can get struck off... no such threat for a bad trimmer.

Not that being struck off seems to make a difference round here :eek: No one I know has even thought twice about checking qualifications - they just use X because Y next door does. Quite frightening sometimes :cry: - this is not only applicable to foot care either.

Perhaps we should have a poll on who checks qualifications - I have pn my trimmer as I founf her via internet, but never checked the farrier we used (who uined her feet)

There are a few vets I won't have on the yard as well as a lot of EDTs, farriers, saddlers etc!!

FWIW I use the same farrier for all our horses shod and unshod, an experienced/apprenticed but not qualified horsedentist, a Shiatzu and sports massage lady who used our horses for her case studies while training and a brilliant Osteo who has worked for years with TBs. I trust our Master Saddler to fit a saddle...he insists on seeing us ride in the saddle before and after fitting unlike one selling 'fitter' who didn't even bother to put on a girth and didn't try the saddle on after restuffing .

I am an experienced owner but still want to trust experts mainly...it must be a nightmare for new owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com