Really safe to trot/canter up hills at this stage?

I think yesterday not wanting canter was incase the horse brook into galop and fear of losing my Ballance again I think it would be fine otherwise as it was quite fun the day before before I lost my ballence I didn't fall off I meanged to use the saddle to stop that form happening.

The horses behaved for you right? So they weren't wrong stating they catered for novices, and you told them you could trot and canter? but once there decided you were unsure? so they were encouraging you to get the most from your stay, not really doing anything wrong. Cantering out on the trails is generally much faster than cantering in a school, were they really galloping? There are lots of different speeds within the canter gait.

Reactions: carthorse
But yeah I glad I did it it's not something I'm going to forget that's for sure. But I look at what lanauege the instruction is first. As I realised that after I booked it(well I realised what it meant). I think here they consider canter and gallop variations of the same gait as I know some countrys do). Tell me more about those rides out of interest

Well when I messaged them I told I could trot but that needed a bit of work as I hadn't cantered at that point. And the first ride he did say now galop I realised now he meant canter. Well I meant if I acdebitly toach my leg on the side they would go up a gait quite rightly so I said im gald I did it. :). So no before I went I didn't tell them I could canter as couldn't then. That came up conversation. On the second day after riding. But yes I'm glad I did it :).

Reactions: Jessey
@RayRay I'm just curious I know you've been posting on here for a while. How long have you been riding for now. I think I remember you saying you dont have regular lessons. Just wondering roughly how many lessons you've had.

I know that if I was going on a trail riding holiday I would always understate my ability a bit, simply because I'd want to enjoy the rides and scenery rather than being pushed to my limits.

I know that if I was going on a trail riding holiday I would always understate my ability a bit, simply because I'd want to enjoy the rides and scenery rather than being pushed to my limits.

I always played my ability down when T and I went on hacks on holiday - I am glad because I could just relax then.

@RayRay I'm just curious I know you've been posting on here for a while. How long have you been riding for now. I think I remember you saying you dont have regular lessons. Just wondering roughly how many lessons you've had.
I do have ride regularly now i just started off by having now and again lessons and then had some gaps when I moved from place to place (city wise) I can't conut how many lessons but I had my first lesson coming up to 3 years I go.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I've seen your posts on the other thread as well. Try not to let the fall bother you. Enjoy your riding. Some people learn quicker than others but I would try to start incorporating some canters in your lessons. Have a go at jumping by all means but really if you've only cantered a few times I would be worried about jumping.
Quite often some horses can get excited by jumping and to give them the best chance of going over a jump without knocking it they need to canter over or be going forward well.
You can trot and maybe your instructor has said jumping but maybe really means they will get you going over raised trotting poles. In which case you dont need to canter to trot over poles. But just be aware that some horses can go over and then try to go up a gait once over because poles excite them.

I do canter in my lessons already. I think it will be cross poles(really tiny ones. It's my instructor that said. I acentlly jump one those two lessons ago). When the horse had seen in canter and wanted to go. I honestly can't believe that I'm only one that to have an off day. I do think with every skill you can have off days evening your amazing(which I'm not)

newrider.com