Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Rhythm beads

Discussion in 'Training of the Horse and Rider' started by Jessey, Jan 12, 2018 at 8:25 PM.

1. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Anyone use them? Do they have any effect on the horse or is it indirect via the rider?

2. Pete's Mum

Pete's Mum Well-Known Member

I've used them & I'm sure they've helped Pete :)

Jessey likes this.
  3. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

Someone bought me some for Raf a couple of years ago and I'm ashamed to say I've rarely used them. They are beautiful, but Raf is a fantastic happy hacker anyway, so I don't need any aids to help him settle. In fact they unnerved him a bit the first time I tried them, probably wondered why the funny noise was following him ...

For me, their only use would be to decorate my horse. I meant to use them for the endurance pleasure rides as that's the sort of occasion where I'd 'dress up' like that, but I don't think I went on any last year.

Jessey likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

I got a beautiful set from Secret Santa a few years ago, but like Bodshi Ziggy doesn't need them to help him settle. But he wears them when I want him to look pretty! They really adorn him charmingly.

Jessey likes this.
  6. orbvalley

orbvalley Well-Known Member

I've never heard of thiso_O What are they supposed to do? Asking as I need all the hacking help I can get

Jessey likes this.
  7. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

They're not specifically for hacking, but it's basically a necklace or mane clip of beads that clink together as the horse moves and the noise is meant to help horse and rider get a better rhythm.

I was thinking of trying some as jess is full of piss and wind at the moment and is tending to rush, I can check her but I don't like to be a nag and have to keep doing it :) I also want to start low intensity lunging but right now I know she would do a mad galloping motor bike going round corners impression if I tried :rolleyes: so wondered if these might engage her brain a little :p

orbvalley likes this.
  8. Prjsmk

Prjsmk Active Member

I use them on my cob, he used to be so off balance in trot and canter and he gets so distracted he forgets what his legs are doing! If theres a tractor 6 fields away hes too busy watching it and ends uo tripping! Trios over fresh air! Trios over his own shadow! Lol. Someone suggested rhythm beads and they work great for him, also stooped him trotting with one end and cantering with the other

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties