Riding out - length of rein

I don't ride Rhi with too much of a loose rein otherwise she can feel no contact and tends to be unhappy. She must know you are there. I am trying to get her through this now by relaxing my reins a little when driving.

I ride on a fairly loose rein......but I think it does vary from horse to horse.....after all I do also hack out in a halter and single rein as well ;) We are off road so can relax a bit more (except when deer/sheep bounce over the fence:rolleyes: ) However I always used to hack on a loose rein on the roads if possible, but it really depends - some horses are happier with more of a contact and in some situations a 'proper' contact is needed for safety.

It depends upon what I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm just going out for a stroll, loosening Bud up before or after ringwork, or playing, then I'll ride with very light contact or, in some cases, right on the buckle. However, if I'm working on condition and fitness, using riding out as a schooling in and of itself, or riding with "purpose" (e.g., x-country), then I ride with the same rein contact I'd use in the school.

We hack on a very light contact or next to no contact at all for the most part, but I always take the reins up if we go on the road. It works the same bitted or bitless. Of course there are occasions where control is needed where this doesn't apply, usually when anticipating a good gallop on the way home:)

I'm on the buckle pretty much all the time - but you have to do what's right\comfortable for you and your horse. Even when we canter or trot through the forests I have a fairly loose rein - I might go an inch or two from the buckle - as this gives me more flexibility when we need a really sharp turn (you sort of run one arm up and out wide to get the turn without necessarily gathering in your reins).

I also find that it's a real relaxer - even if he spooks at something I leave him on the buckle - then he's like 'oops can't be scary because she's not reacting. I don't find that being on the buckle lessens your communication - it's just lighter and if you really need him to 'listen up' then as soon as you pick up any slack it's like 'hey! somethings gonna happen' so he really listens. I actually find him checking in with me visually sometimes - he couldn't do that on a more 'normal' contact.

I didnt realise how loose I rode until I saw this pic (sorry if youve already seen it in my thread on hacking out)

loose!

Also -went out with someone else riding him on a lot more contact and he was sooooooo much s- l- o- w-e-r. Interesting.If I'm schooling shapes I take up more contact, ditto jumping, but a walk/ trot/canter toodle in the woods we are both happier long.

Off to do that right now ( Kids at grandpa's until Wed- hurrah!)
Have a great Monday everyone!

newrider.com