ringworm

happyhorse

Dutch Warmblood Fanatic!
Jul 19, 2001
bedfordshire
community.webshots.com
hi,

some of the horses at my yard have got ringworm, passed from a mare that was new to our yard. we think it was passed on by headcollars being used to the infected mare and then on the geldings when they were brought in at lunchtime time. Anyway i have been told that athletes foot medication is very good to help clear it up.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this before and what they found was the best treatment.

Ringworm is caused by a dermatophyte, which is a type of fungus so an anti-fungal agent is the ideal treatment. Some types of athletes foot creams may work (e.g. "daktarin") but others do not seem to have the same effect. It is also difficult to treat your whole horse with the cream, without spending a fortune! Treating only the affected areas will not work well, as there are likely to be some parts you cannot see.

The best treatment is called griseofulvin, available as tablets from your vet. This is actually a very nasty drug if you are a pregnant woman, as it can be absorbed through the skin, and can cause foetal mutations, so any women on the yard shouldn't handle it if there is any chance they may be pregnant.

Alternatively you can bathe your horses in anti-fungal shampoos, also get these from your vet.

It is important to make sure that all equipment is disinfected too. You can use dilute bleach for this, or Virkon if you can get hold of it. This also applies to tack, rugs, grooming kits, bandages, and everything you can physically clean. I know it sounds drastic, but you'll only be rid of it if you get eveything thoroughly clean.

Ponyvet, it it true that washing soda is effective for killing the fungus around the stable? I haven't had to deal with it for donkey's years but I have a memory of having to wash everything down with washing soda after it was diagnosed on our yard. We were even told to wash down the apple tree trunks in the orchard!:D

True washing soda yes, but not the persil or fairy type washing powder around these days, as the concentration is all wrong (or so I've been told!:confused: )

Actually washing soda is also effective against foot and mouth disease and is a much cheaper way of farmer keeping their farms secure, if they use a straw mat covered in washing powder! It's also an excuse for them to try and keep clean!! :D Haven't seen any trying though!

newrider.com