Rug rubbed mane

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
:(

When I got Flash, his mane was growing back from having been rubbed out over winter. When he was on box rest he developed a lovely full mane. As soon as he’s been back out in the field in turnout rugs - it’s got a big chunk rubbed out of it again.

I have rugs with detachable neck (they’ve rubbed it). Combo neck (they’ve rubbed it too). Have several different brands of rug, but all seem to rub in the same place. Tried putting show sheen on rug at that place... didn’t make much difference.

This year is a total write off in terms of rescuing it... but how can I stop it happening next year?

I dont do neck rugs unless very very cold and ive kept fully clipped horses this way with no issue. Usually it is a case of over heating and lack of air on the hair follicles but it can be the type of rug but you sound to have tried all sorts.
You can get hoods to put on which do help but dont always stop it if its an over heating issue, also adding a piece of silk to the inside of the neck can also help (charity shop usually will have a silk garmet of some description for you to cut up and use :) )

Reactions: HaloHoney
My cob gets the same, best i can do is a no neck rug that kind ofhelps as not so much is rubbed out, iv tried the anti rub things too, didn't help

Reactions: HaloHoney
I think its often from over heating too, I tend to under rug by many of my friends standards, but all of my horses have had full manes and never had one rubbed out by a neck (the standard/no neck ones shorten Jess's mane at the bottom so its only as long as the neck line where the binding gets it). I do tend to keep manes mane-and-tailed in the winter, applying about once a month.

The product I've been using for Jess' MF is called MTG (Mane, Tail Grow) and I haven't used it for mane growth but it has worked great on her leg, and even where the huge scabs were and the vet clipped it a month ago its now completely furred over, almost back to normal, so might be worth a try. it does say on the bottle its to promote hair growth.

I was looking at that MTG @Jessey for Rhan, her mane is thinner at the bottom from a certain little man whrn they are having a scratch, im going to shorten it to a more welsh showing length which would be out of his reach then and wondered if this would help with sone re growth. Will order some after hearing a positive review from someone i "know" so to speak :)

Reactions: Jessey
I was looking at that MTG @Jessey for Rhan, her mane is thinner at the bottom from a certain little man whrn they are having a scratch, im going to shorten it to a more welsh showing length which would be out of his reach then and wondered if this would help with sone re growth. Will order some after hearing a positive review from someone i "know" so to speak :)
I have the plus version, stinks to high heaven but seems good, I suspect it might help keep bugs away :)

newrider.com