Rugs - layers or seperates

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Do you prefer to layer rugs for warmth or have separate ones for each possible scenario?

I was told years ago by a physio to be careful layering too much as the pressure points can be amplified, like at the base of the neck where having multiple standard neck rugs all putting pressure on that one point can cause damage to the muscle. BUT I know I (personally) prefer to wear several thin layer than big thick ones.

Jess is now too warm in her MW (200g) turnout, my next one down is a no fill, I am debating if I should buy a 100g or just stick a LW stable rug or scrim sheet underneath as I have one which is for the rare occasions it gets silly cold and I need to add to her MW or if she has to be stabled somewhere (last time she stayed at the vets she had to wear one of Bo's old ones, a 5'9" when she normally wears 6'6"!). I hate layering with fleeces as the buggers always seem to move, pull back and cause chaos :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I prefer 1 layer personally, i do think it adds more unnecessary weight having layers on the horses and more bulk where straps etc are. I love my 100g rug find it an invaluable rug to have in my box tbh.

Reactions: Jessey
How weird there's some telepathy going on. I was thinking about rugs and layers yesterday. I've got a couple of fleeces and was contemplating whether to put one under. I seem to recall that previously when I layered some rugs slid around. I think one underneath ended up off the back end somehow. The fleece I recall slid back off the base of the neck so was tight on the shoulders.
I would prefer to have only one rug. I think for horses that role alot it's more risky for them to get there legs trapped in the straps. Especially if the rugs do move around.

How weird there's some telepathy going on. I was thinking about rugs and layers yesterday. I've got a couple of fleeces and was contemplating whether to put one under. I seem to recall that previously when I layered some rugs slid around. I think one underneath ended up off the back end somehow. The fleece I recall slid back off the base of the neck so was tight on the shoulders.
I would prefer to have only one rug. I think for horses that role alot it's more risky for them to get there legs trapped in the straps. Especially if the rugs do move around.
Haha great minds and all that :D That's exactly what I find happens with fleeces when layered, the fleece pulls back, strangles them and hangs out the back of the top rug and then the top rug slips around and they end up looking like bag ladies :p

Reactions: chunky monkey
I have always layered, its always worked really well for me. I have one really good quality outer - a masta 100g fieldmasta and then 2 PE liners, 100g and 200g. Ive used this system for years with no probs - the liners just clip to the rings for the legstraps. In fact, one of the liners must be 10 years old!

however!!!!! I found Brook completely naked when I went to bring her in one day last week :eek: She had completely shed her Masta, with every buckle still done up inc the neck and no damage to it other than the legstraps being snapped. The PE liner however was in a seperate heap and shredded. I can only assume the liner slipped and she panicked so needless to say Im changing my way of rugging!

I prefer separate rugs, particularly for turnout, but will layer occasionally rather than buy a rug that will only be used rarely.

I'm layering atm but don't like all the straps round legs and tummies, must be annoying. But she's fully clipped (incl head and legs) every 4 weeks so needs all the layers.

I find fleeces are only useful for cooling off and travelling, they always slip back. Lottie had a Rambo Newmarket fleece for Christmas which seems like it wouldn't slip but this is her travel rug only so haven't tested it. I've got an old Rambo thin waffle type rug which I find a really useful little rug and doesn't move.

I have only layered once and it did not end well. I was new to horse ownership and someone on the yard suggested madam might be cold in her stable so instead of the medium weight stable rug alone I was told it would be a fine idea to pop another one on top. Said rug was way too big for her and in the morning she was a tangled sad mess with broken straps and the top rug almost upside down with one ear pinnioned (not sure how the heck that happened).
Zi came with a lovely full wardrobe and so far so good, I've been fine with him turned out in medium weights though I do know one has a liner? And both have neckpieces I can add.

No layers here! I know how uncomfortable I feel with multiple layers, I'd much rather just have one, thicker jumper. So I apply the same rule to my horses. :p

I layer. I don't like to remove a warm rug in the morning and adding a cold one. So they both have a very thin (and very old) 50g amigo stable rug not a fleece I would never layer with a fleece. then they have what every outer rug they need. I take them both off at night for a good groom then pop the thin one one again then their stable rug.

Never had a problem with them slipping or coming off

I have layered the wee man on a couple of occasions, just in his stable at night, but only if the temps drop below -5 . I have put on his stable rug with a turnout on top and never had a problem. His stable rug is more like a quilted sleeping bag and not very heavy , although I think I have honestly only did this twice , maybe three times at the most. I do prefer single layers just to be on the safe side and I think it must be more comfy with just the one rug on and my wee man's joints aren't the best with old age so I don't want to burden him with extra weight.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I thought about the layers system and we always used to do that with changing the weight of the stable rug underneath.
Not a fleece it moves and having something over it, is not breathable anymore.
You will still only be putting two rugs on wouldn't you? The underside and the outer. I think the issue comes if the outer leaks/ gets trashed and you don't have another outer.

But for mine she has no fills and a 50g that's it.

I thought about the layers system and we always used to do that with changing the weight of the stable rug underneath.
Not a fleece it moves and having something over it, is not breathable anymore.
You will still only be putting two rugs on wouldn't you? The underside and the outer. I think the issue comes if the outer leaks/ gets trashed and you don't have another outer.

But for mine she has no fills and a 50g that's it.
I wouldn't buy one of the new super expensive outers with 3 different liners after we talked about it on here, as you say if the outer gets damaged you're stuffed, but having a couple of outers and occasionally layering I'm okay with. Who am I kidding though, I don't rug hank as a rule and even he has 4 turnouts and a fleece :p Jess has, well, more :p

I wouldn't buy one of the new super expensive outers with 3 different liners after we talked about it on here, as you say if the outer gets damaged you're stuffed, but having a couple of outers and occasionally layering I'm okay with. Who am I kidding though, I don't rug hank as a rule and even he has 4 turnouts and a fleece :p Jess has, well, more :p
I don't rug either but I do have four in case spares.
I will be clipping and rugging the other end of the winter before she cooks with all her coat.
It's a hard frost at the moment and she is fine.

You have to find the right combo to layer, don't you, I tried tonight with her only stable rug and LW and it didn't work at all, the stable rug hung out at the front/bottom and if oiked up and back was too tight on the chest so I gave up and left her in just the LW, it's meant to be 4c tonight so she'll be fine. Guess I'll order that 100g.

At my share horses yard they all put a fleece over the top of turnout rugs when they are in the boxes overnight. I can't see this really adding any warmth but at least that way round they don't slip :p

At my share horses yard they all put a fleece over the top of turnout rugs when they are in the boxes overnight. I can't see this really adding any warmth but at least that way round they don't slip :p
Layers add warmth but their fleeces must end up grotty on the inside?

I used to buy a short depth stable rug and the next size up for the outer.
If you buy the same brands they tended to fit together. Because there were next to no choices!
All the company's have done is attached fittings to their system. This system is new to those getting into horses. But the rest of us see what goes round comes round.

Mine has an Amigo or a Rhino body. Yep she looks like a Rhino alright. :p

The fact all do it suggests a bit of a copying going on rather than need though.
Horses are actually warmer in the stable than outside exposed to the elements. They are not moving around no, but they are not battling the wind and rain either.

The only horses I deal with that have a stable rug on are clipped. The unclipped has nothing. They are in during the day.

newrider.com