Shoes back on?

trieste

Mar 5, 2004
Norfolk/Suffolk border on the coast
I've had Panda approx 2 months now, she didn't have any shoes on when she arrived as she had been stuck in a field doing nothing for 5 months. I thought I'd try going without shoes as she hadn't had any on for a while. To start with she appeared fine and was only very slightly footy over gravel, fine on all other surfaces and roads, she has a very nice action and doesn't appear to be heavy on her feet (did try going barefoot one winter with Peggy - heavyweight cob and although only getting out at weekends she wore her feet down :eek: so she just has fronts now and has down for several years).
As I've been able to ride more I think Panda is not coping as well, she is a stoic pony and always keen but I'm sure I'm noticing she is not quite as good if I ride her several days in a row.
We have the farrier coming on Wednesday and I'm thinking of asking him to put fronts on - this is what she had previously when she was being ridden.
Am I giving up too soon, I would hate to think she's suffering but as I'm going to be riding more I don't want to not be able to ride as she's sore and I'm sure she wouldn't like not to go out either.

It's not really long enough, even if the horse hasn't previously been shod. Keeping a horse happy and comfortable in work is very important, but you don't necessarily have to re shoe if you don't want to, unless you hunt or event hoof boots are a good enough alternative for many leisure horses. Unlike shoes you only put them on when you need them and they won't affect the feet and the horse in the same way.

Thanks Yann, I've heard about boots, do you have to make sure the whole hoof is completely mud free before using them?, as I don't think this would work as we have quite a lot of mud, would they rub? Sorry for my ignorance.

You can, from UKNHCP trimmers, but there aren't any in your part of the world that I know of and it probably works out cheaper to get them direct. It's via paypal and they're reliable if a little slow. Should they not work out for some bizarre reason you'd stand an excellent chance of getting most of your money back on them.

In your position, I think I'd be trying a pair of more easily obtainable, cheaper boots first. EasyBoot epics or boas have to be cheaper, surely ?

In your position, I think I'd be trying a pair of more easily obtainable, cheaper boots first. EasyBoot epics or boas have to be cheaper, surely ?

Boas are not much cheaper if you have to add postage on (well, not when I bought my Renegades in the summer as the exchange rate was better, £100 all in!:D) and personally I found Boas a bit like riding in wellies nothing like Renegades which I can forget about.

There isn't that much in it over here to be honest, and the resale would be much better on the Renegades if they didn't work out, which would be surprising so long as the measurements are correct.

wasn't sure how to broach the cost with OH of the renegades

Most boots will last 12 months or more unless you give them serious hammer, some go on for several years before wearing out. If you're having a farrier trim your horse at £15 a shot then you're actually looking at a potential saving overall as against front shoes;)

There isn't that much in it over here to be honest, and the resale would be much better on the Renegades if they didn't work out, which would be surprising so long as the measurements are correct.

Most boots will last 12 months or more unless you give them serious hammer, some go on for several years before wearing out. If you're having a farrier trim your horse at £15 a shot then you're actually looking at a potential saving overall as against front shoes;)

My farrier trims are now £25! but it is still cheaper than having shoes and so much less fuss. (although he hasn't had to trim Belle as they are self trimming so far...slow growth but not a problem yet)

Um, some serious thinking to do, I'm thinking if I just work Panda in the field or we go to a show or we do a road hack she'd probably be fine barefoot, in that case boots would last quite some time for when we go on the tracks, I am concerned about getting the measurements correct for boots, I have printed the sizing guide for the renegades which I've heard nothing but good things about. I will have a good look/measure up over the weekend, drop in conversation to OH about how much money I'll be saving rather than how much initially spending. :D

Our farrier charges £60 for a set, £39 fronts/hind trim and £18 for all round trim, so saving of £21 every 8 weeks equals £130+ approx a year, do you think I can justify it to OH.

Do you ever have shoes off at odd times which additional call outs? and the hooves will be healthier which is another bonus and in time you may not even need boots at all. My pony is completely sound barefoot even on stony ground with no boots.

...and farrier prices may go up!

Thankfully I think the last time any of our horses lost a shoe it was my oldie approx 20 years ago all because farrier had been ill and the shoes had been on 20 weeks. We have been very fortunate our RI's horse is always losing shoes, obviously I have no idea about Panda. I am thinking as she is part arab and they're supposed to have good feet in time might be able to dispense with boots.

Thankfully I think the last time any of our horses lost a shoe it was my oldie approx 20 years ago all because farrier had been ill and the shoes had been on 20 weeks. We have been very fortunate our RI's horse is always losing shoes, obviously I have no idea about Panda. I am thinking as she is part arab and they're supposed to have good feet in time might be able to dispense with boots.

My pony is half arab! and my arab mare has the hardest feet ever, the farrier complains about trimming them.:) When she was in work she had no problems being barefoot - no boots ever used.

If she's part arab you stand as good a chance as any of dispensing with the boots longer term I would have thought. On the prices you've quoted there you'd be saving money if your boots lasted longer than 12 months, which is highly likely, especially if you don't use them continually.

The only terminal thing on the renegades would be wearing off the tread, which looks like it could be recut at least once anyway, the cables can fray eventually but they're replaceable.

newrider.com