Shoes back on?

The shortening is done at time of manufacture. Best plan would be to email them (including these pics perhaps) and they'll be able to advise you, they're very helpful in my experience :)

EasyBoots are about £100 for the pair, and Renegades are £120 - so, if your horse can cope without pads, then I would go for the Renegades (so much easier to take on and off, much lighter and less clumpy, come in lovely colours!). I have the contact details for a lady in the UK who sells Renegades. She also arranged for my pair to be sent to the US to have some repairs/adjustments (I must have had the only pair ever to have a fault :rolleyes:). Let me know if you would like to contact her.

Ali xx

If you don't ask you don't learn :) A lot of horses fresh out of shoes benefit from having high density foam pads inside their hoof boots to help with support and shock absorption, it also helps to condition the foot. It's difficult to use pads in Renegades, and I've found it makes them more likely to come off in testing situations. If you've got a horse with OK feet that just need a bit of help like yours they won't be needed.

Thanks Yann, roll on Wednesday and I hope this endeavour turns out well, having a bit of a nightmare at the moment, took Panda to the vet for second shot yesterday all went ok, asked him to confirm that needed 3rd shot in 5 months, he thought he was just doing annual booster and therefore hadn't done the tetanus, poor pony had to have that in the other side of her neck. Than got home and our farmer informed us that he'd run out of hay :eek:, but it's only January - and we have to get some elsewhere.

Had a chat with my Farrier yesterday, he doesn't like hoof boots as they rub, can cause problems with infections - due to moisture retained inside boot, put pressure on parts of the foot.
Showed him the bumf I printed on the Renegades and what I'd read up about them and as my plan is hopefully not to use them all the time more as a transitional thing, he thought they were worth a try as Panda has nice feet.
He'd not seen anything like the Renegades, was thinking of the Boa, Easiboot etc and having seen pics of some of the different types myself I could see you could have problems - one type I thought looked like wellies. :eek:

So I have emailed pics to the states and hope to hear whether they think Pandas heels are too high :eek: and what size she would be.

Had a chat with my Farrier yesterday, he doesn't like hoof boots as they rub, can cause problems with infections - due to moisture retained inside boot, put pressure on parts of the foot.
Showed him the bumf I printed on the Renegades and what I'd read up about them and as my plan is hopefully not to use them all the time more as a transitional thing, he thought they were worth a try as Panda has nice feet.
He'd not seen anything like the Renegades, was thinking of the Boa, Easiboot etc and having seen pics of some of the different types myself I could see you could have problems - one type I thought looked like wellies. :eek:

So I have emailed pics to the states and hope to hear whether they think Pandas heels are too high :eek: and what size she would be.

Good luck. My Boas never rubbed, I just really didn't like them. The Renegades have never rubbed even on the occasions (twice) when they have slippped round. Your farrier sounds a bit negative (which is understandable as farriers make their money putting shoes on). I've never heard the thing about infections before. Hope you get an answer from renegade soon :)

I wouldn't say he was negative, he's very positive about not putting shoes on, just concerned as he's seen cases where boots are over used and the foot sweats inside causing a perfect environment for an infection, might be some people are turning out the horse all day with them on, he was quite encouraging as long as I was aware of potential problems.
As for making money putting shoes on it was his idea that my friends Haffy had her fronts removed as well as her hinds as he kept re-fitting the same shoes :p .Out of 5 horses only one has a full set of shoes, 2 just front and 2 without. My problem is I'm doing a bit more with Panda than my friend with the Haffy. :)
Hope to hear soon from the states, I am a bit worried about the height of Pandas heels.

He felt if I was happy to spend the money it was worth a try with the boots, could always go back to shoes if necessary. I'm just worried that when Kirt looks at the photos he's going to say her heels are too high :eek: and I'm not sure how I can approach the Farrier and tell him....

Nope, not really, not if you're using the right boots for the job and they fit properly. The only time you might risk infection is if you're turning out in them, and even then a daily cleaning regime can keep that at bay.

I'm just worried that when Kirt looks at the photos he's going to say her heels are too high

I would personally be surprised if that was actually the case judging from what you've posted here :)

Just had this from Kirt

I concur that your horse needs size 2W with the cutback option.

I will also comment that the heels are a bit on the high side, most likely you will need to adjust the cables outward. Also, there is significant toe flare so the boots may not completely close at the top edge in the toe. In reality this should not pose a problem but I thought it would be best to point this out.

In addition, I could not help but notice that sole trimming is taking place in the front half of the hoof. Much experience riding barefoot endurance horses has shown there is no benefit to trimming sole in this area especially when the hoof has significant toe flare as your horse does. Sole is armor and should be preserved as much as possible. Also, lowering the heels will move the center of weigh bearing rearward which will reduce toe pressure and hence pressure on the sole. If you would like to have further discussion on the subject, please let me know.

I am now leaning towards putting front shoes back on as if my farrier cant really accomodate my horses feet and keep her comfortable this seems to be the only choice. what Kirt says about preserving sole makes sense as my pony appeared footsore leading up the drive back to the field after her trim wheras she was definately not on the way from the field.:(

Last edited:
If your farrier isn't doing a good trim then putting a shoe on over a trim from the same farrier isn't going to sort it. Can you find a better farrier or a good trimmer?

I agree with Melanie, if Kirt is correct then it's your farrier that's causing your pony's problems, with a better trim you might not even need boots. Why shoe simply to cover up the shortcomings of the job he's doing for you if that's the case? Trimming sole at the toe is an absolute no no in most trimmer's books.

Thanks for your input guys, farrier is a master farrier and one of the best in our area, I have posted on here re finding a trimmer but I'm fairly sure we don't have any in this area, so at the moment unfortunately it looks like I'll have to have her shod.:(

Thanks for your input guys, farrier is a master farrier and one of the best in our area, I have posted on here re finding a trimmer but I'm fairly sure we don't have any in this area, so at the moment unfortunately it looks like I'll have to have her shod.:(

There must be other farriers in your area. Just because he is a "master" does not mean he's doing a good job. From your comments you think her heel is too high, so you're not happy....don't give in too easily, especially as shoeing isn't going to make the problem go away.

newrider.com