Show help - "turn out"

Canter

Oct 24, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Hi there....

I am an instructor who has been teaching (hunter/jumper) for just over eight years - but hasn't shown for about ten. (Just not my cup of tea) Many of my students are entering a local show this weekend and have asked me to help them in advance with their "turn out" class.

Basically - they just need some practice with getting their horses to walk next to them and listen to their commands from the ground (while looking good)

Now... my question is - can you use your voice or sounds as an aid when leading your horse in a show?

---and do you have any other general tips for me to offer my students?

Thank you in advance,
Shelley

hello!

Yes, you can use your voice as an aid for showing.

With regard to walking or running (for trot) next to your horse in the show, make sure that the handler is always on the far side of the horse to the judge, and that their legs are level with the horse's front legs and in step - this stops the horse looking like it has 6 legs and if you are out of step you can make the horse look lame.

I hope that is of help.

bye!

Wow.... I do appreciate that tip about the legs.... I'm very glad you mentioned it.

I have been told that you are not allowed to use your voice while riding in a show (for dressage) even though it is 'recognized' as an aid.

.....so it is different then when you are leading your horse?

Shelley

hello!

You aren't allowed to use the voice in a dressage test. I do though, but make sure I speak quietly and at the far end of the ring! Anyway, I am not really using it as an aid, more to say well done.

In showing - either ridden or in hand you can use your voice as much as you like as an aid - or at least oyu can in the UK, not sure if the rules are different in Canada, but i should imagine that for a local show it would be fine.

Good luck to all your pupils!

bye!

newrider.com